• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glrerun

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What is your favorite gun:
Caliber or Gauge and why
Barrel length and twist

Photos welcome

I ask this question in an attempt to learn, but it is a great chance to brag

Because of age and eyes, I've come to love and use a .62/20 gauge fowling piece. Even were it not necessary, think I'd stay with it. My hunting and shooting outings have been cut back due to family circumstances, but it's become my go-to caliber..."one gun does it all" sort of philosophy. :wink: :thumbsup: As for size, I prefer a 46" or 48" barrel and have never felt at a disadvantage in brushy country with one...in fact, I even use the barrel to turn small branches as I move along. Longer I do this the more prone I've become to go minimalist!

Last edited by a moderator:
Flints? Late 16th thru mid 18th C. smoothbores. Early octagon-to-round .62's. Nice-n-handy. Later .69-.75 military. Historic.

My current favorite is a Lyman Deerstalker in .54 flint. If I had purchased this rifle first there would have been no others. It hits where I point it, it always fires and it makes a big hole. I like short rifles and the 24" barrel suits me fine.

Been shooting this rifle since 1979, going in the box with me--not to soon I hope...45 cal. Douglass 40" barrel 1:66, maple stock, L&R lock, all steel trim by my hand. Way more accurate than me-by a long shot....Tom

click to see album..

I only have one flintlock and it is not my favorite gun .. yet. After I finish repairing all the flubs with it, I may change my mind .. but it better shoot like a laser because my favorite gun (percussion) does.

Tom Knight said:
Been shooting this rifle since 1979, going in the box with me--not to soon I hope...
Have to try the old Brit Bailey routine, he one of the old time early Texans. When he passed to the big wilderness in the sky, he specified he be buried standing up and facing west with his rifle, bag, horn (all other trappings) and his gallon jug of XXX at his feet. Wife decided to go along with his wishes except her Baptist persuasion didn't include XXX! Every 7 years his spirit appears on Bailey's Prairie, in Brazoria County, hunting for his jug...no, I've never gone there on the right year!

I know how this whole thing sounds, but the written accounts go back to the 1830's! First couple who moved into the house, and practiced the early Victorian contraceptive method of separate bedrooms, got the first "surprise" when mama came flying into pa's bedroom and did a 1 &1/2 gainer into the covers hollering, "Brit's in my room and a-hunting around under the bed!" Things generally went south from there and 180 odd years later, he's still hunting his jug. Think of the stories your grandkids could tell! :wink: :thumbsup: :rotf:

Since this question was posted in the Flint forum, my favorite is my Early Virginia Smooth Rifle in .62 cal (20 gauge).

Why? First, its always done what I have asked of it hunting small game/turkey. And while I've not hunted big game with it yet, it shoots dandy groups with round ball and would be plenty capable out to 75 yards, if not more.

Second, I just like looking at it! This fine rifle has some engraving on the brass buttplate, trigger guard, and side plate. And some carving in an early, not-extravagant fashion. It's lines are sleek and lean. It has a 42" swamped octagon barrel. While a bit heavier than a fowling gun, it shoots like a rifle with the cheek piece and rear sight.

022413Squirrel1b_zps3e9888a5.jpg

042713FirstTurkey_zpsd3b1d0b4.jpg

And third, the versatility of a smooth rifle is unmatched. Small game, birds, big game...it will do it all.

If smooth rifles are allowed, then it's my Jackie Brown 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore, hands down. I love the 46" barrel, it fits me like a custom made gun, and I've taken all the game I hunt with it, large and small. I've also used it with at least a half-dozen primitive, historic wadding systems for both ball and shot with high success, have taken all my game with some of them. It shoots 1 1/2-inch groups at 25 yards and 4-inch groups at 100 yards with ball, with no rear sight, and I've taken deer with it to 70 yards. I've been using it for most of my hunting for 17 years, and it has been impressively dependable, gives me 100+ shots from each flint, and has never failed to fire when hunting, wet or dry. A gun could not be more dependable or versatile.

Spence

Been shooting this rifle since 1979, going in the box with me

Your choice, of course.
But, IMHO, a waste. I am instructing no jewelry be buried with me. Simply a waste.
BTW, I plan to build my own coffin, old style. And, the lid will have pre made holes for antique-style square cut nails. Family and friends will get to nail the lid on at the end of the service.

Every MLer I have built or will build is a favorite....but, they're all sold or will be sold....except "Ugly" which was my first build, is apropriately named and isn't going to be sold because nobody would want "it". So....I guess I'm stuck w/ a LR that really isn't my favorite, but just one that won't "leave home"......Fred

Favorite? Tougher question than you'd think. Caliber; well I started off with a .45 and have used that caliber over 45 years on deer more than any other caliber. The favorite rifle then would be my late Lancaster flinter with a straight 36" x 13/16" barrel. It's taken deer, squirrel and targets but long ago stopped being use on squirrels. It's slender, light weight and accurate; basically all I could want in a .45 longrifle. It is much fun to shoot on the range and is otherwise purely a deer rifle. None of my guns get fired more than my pea shooting squirrel rifles but the .45 still gets more than its share of attention to this day.

Yeah, that question is a tough one.
For flinter rifles, right now today it's The Rattler.

The rifled GM .62 barrel makes the TC Hawken hold right, shoot right.

Rifleman1776 said:
BTW, I plan to build my own coffin, old style. And, the lid will have pre made holes for antique-style square cut nails. Family and friends will get to nail the lid on at the end of the service.

That may be what you want and it's obvious that you think that's a good choice but I doubt any of your family or friends will relish pounding nails in a coffin.

Too macabre. :shake:

Usually the one I am shooting at the time. All of mine are TCs. If I had to choose only one it would be my 54 cal. Renegade flinter.
Take care,
Ed

This one, I built it in the late '80s...It's my version of what could have been made in the Piedmont area of North Carolina in 1770...I give talks on the Revolutionary War and wanted something that would represent what Daniel Boone could have carried or what could have been carried at Guilford Courthouse...

btw...You fellows are killing me with those 20 gauge smooth rifles...I really need one of them... :hatsoff:

ShootingFlintlock-1.jpg

Wes, if Mrs. Wes had never used such an excuse to do the same thing it makes me sorrier for you than your parents abuse of you with grits did.

Why, if I had a dime for every time...

hanshi said:
Favorite? Tougher question than you'd think. Caliber; well I started off with a .45 and have used that caliber over 45 years on deer more than any other caliber. The favorite rifle then would be my late Lancaster flinter with a straight 36" x 13/16" barrel. It's taken deer, squirrel and targets but long ago stopped being use on squirrels. It's slender, light weight and accurate; basically all I could want in a .45 longrifle. It is much fun to shoot on the range and is otherwise purely a deer rifle. None of my guns get fired more than my pea shooting squirrel rifles but the .45 still gets more than its share of attention to this day.

Huh? You've stated .62 was your favorite and then soon .50. As a JOKE I predicted you'd say .45 next. Low and behold!

Back