• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just an opinion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out to our range after getting my mower running again. I need to use a wagon to take all five pistols (plus a .22 and a Ruger GP-100) along with gear to the range. Anyway, I digress. First time I had them all together and shot them all one after the other. And I found out that will I love my 1851's the best shooters are the 1861 Navy and the 1860 Army. Both felt great in my fat stubby hand, pointability was right on. I also found out that I hate shooting my 1858 NMA. I bought it because my son-in-law really liked the looks and I wanted a new BP pistol and it looked nice and a lot of people raved about them. Well I hate mine. Oh there's nothing wrong with it, it fired every time, I just hate the feel of it in my hand. And I hate how it feels when I shoot it. On the other hand my 1851's, 1860 and 1861 all felt great. I expected the 1851's to fell the best but in fact it was the 1860 and 1861 that felt the best. I know the 1851 and 1861 are built on the same frame but I swear they feel different. The 1860 fits my hand better no pinky off the bottom of the grip but I really liked the feel of the 1861 in my hand most of all but I really liked the nice thump of the 1860's big .44. Now all said I'm lucky I have the choice to fire all these different pistols and really would have a hard time choosing just one but fortunately that is not a choice I have to make.
Your milage may differ.

I really prefer the balance of the 1851 and 1860 Colts and how they fit my hand to the Remington 1858. The Remington grip feels small. But I shoot the Remington as well as the Colts, which is sort of annoying.

Jeff

My 1860 Army hands down (pun intended) feels and handles better than my 1858 NMA. Both are by Uberti. Oddly enough my heavy and unwieldily but powerful 1847 Walker is the most satisfying of the bunch to shoot.
"oooogh, oooogh, oooogh!" Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor

I like the 1851 and 1860 the best. Don't care much for the 1858 pistols. Looks mean a lot to me and they don't appeal to like the 1851 and 1860. I like the 1851 looks the best. If you want more power you can get an 1851 in .44.

Agree, I like my 1851 and 1860 equally. Just feels right. I enjoy shooting my Remington too, but doesn’t fit my hand as well. It’s shameful I don’t shoot them more often.
TDM beat me to it. I will add, my uberti 1860 is my favorite, it's a touch smaller/different from a Pietta 1860, but for my hands it makes all the difference

Latest posts

Back