• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dave Motto English Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/GunKit.aspx/600/1/ENGLISH-FOWLING-GUN-FLINT-PARTS-LIST
Sure as I can be that today I tripped over one of these assembled by Dave Motto. Not that familiar with flint fowlers but once I was home I did my research to find this TOW kit is a match. The features appear identical and has 'D Motto' on the top flat. The only real difference I'm aware of is that the kit says 42" barrel but I measured the 'find' at 44". It's a 12 bore and comes with a Rapine bag mold, two or three powder horns and a possibles bag. Didn't get to see what other 'possibles' were present. The bore is a true mirror. After first checking for a charge in the barrel I was allowed to snap the lock, plenty of spark. (Could even smell it!) The owner is asking $1000 for everything. From what I found online it appears Mr. Motto is still with us but could be retired. Any values I found for long arms he constructed were at least ten years old. Sorry no pictures, but it wasn't practical at the time to start snapping photos. A fair amount of dust was present and the stock finish was pretty dark, but I didn't see any obvious cracks or wood problems. I'm comfortable saying the condition is 80% and perhaps 90%.

Anyone have input on the price tag? I think I may have to start the financing stage.

@Rum River,

The current price for the parts for a Track of the Wolf Fowler is approaching $860 to $920. That fowling gun has a price tag of $1000 for an assembled fowling gun by Dave Motto. I would say that is a better than fair price for that fowling gun and the associated accessories. It would sell for much more than that on Track's used gun page. I'd be looking for how to get financing.

My advice is buy a walnut blank and build your own and has much of the furniture has you can make . The kit which you mentioned has a lot too desire and is far from a true flintlock fowler , it may be a lot more work to get the stock shape right and not military the furniture should be slender including the butt plate and not too heavy and in the end you will have a true looking flintlock fowler which is worth the extra effort .
Flintlock

My advice is buy a walnut blank and build your own and has much of the furniture has you can make . The kit which you mentioned has a lot too desire and is far from a true flintlock fowler , it may be a lot more work to get the stock shape right and not military the furniture should be slender including the butt plate and not too heavy and in the end you will have a true looking flintlock fowler which is worth the extra effort .
Flintlock

I appreciate the input, you make excellent points. In my case the building of firearms by hand is no longer an option due to physical difficulties.

Phase II.....

This fowler is now mine. I traded an unmentionable to the pawn shop owner who had this flintlock hanging on the wall behind the front counter. (He wanted my unmentionable to such a degree he even paid me some cash as well!)

The three horns are set up for shot, powder and priming. The possibles bag seems well planned, even a sheath for a patch knife on the strap.

Fowler.jpg
Lock.jpg
Signature.jpg
Horns.jpg
Possibles.jpg

Phase II.....

This fowler is now mine. I traded an unmentionable to the pawn shop owner who had this flintlock hanging on the wall behind the front counter. (He wanted my unmentionable to such a degree he even paid me some cash as well!)

The three horns are set up for shot, powder and priming. The possibles bag seems well planned, even a sheath for a patch knife on the strap.

View attachment 53327View attachment 53328View attachment 53329View attachment 53330View attachment 53331
You my friend made out!! Nice gun and nice deal all the way, good for you!

Latest posts

Back