• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crows On Barley

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tenngun said:
They were encouraged to eat them here in the states during the Second World War. They are none to bad sliced thin and fried. I behead them when down and let them hang to drain. Make them like colops and their good eating. I find them more like duck then beef.
I do remember a book I read called Crow Killer, seems that feller ate them but only the liver :rotf:
:barf:

smoothshooter said:
That's a fine looking 20 gauge you have there.
How about some details on the gun, and who made it and where?
The gun is by Henry Nock 1740-1804 it would have been built at the latter end of his gun making history. His last address was 10 Ludgate Street London 1784-1804 when the business was taken over by James Wilkinson
The gun is what can be described has a ladies or child's gun in 20 bore ,it has a 27 inch iron barrel weighs 4.1/2 lb and is a flintlock conversion with London Proof marks .

Enclosed are images which show it is not top quality with a crack in the hammer but it shoots well
Feltwad

Feltwad said:
Black Hand said:
How does one cook Crow? Do you have a particular recipe that you prefer? BTW, this is a serious question - Crows/Ravens are protected here, as are Magpies.
Here crows ,rooks and jack daws are a serious pest they cause a lot of damage to crowing crops and are a menace around farm buildings .They are also a big carry of disease in both live stock and poultry

Has for a crow recipe I do not know of one I would not eat them , I dispose of them in the farm furnace or buried .
Feltwad
With a early rise this Saturday morning gone and using a sxs percussion 14 bore over laid barley I managed a bag of 52 , mostly jack daws and rooks a good morning
Feltwad

Wow, that's a lot of shooting.
It's interesting some here have said the Crow is protected in some USA states.
Here in Minnesota there is a "hunting season" for Crow, basically Sept-Oct. It all revolves around the "Migratory Bird act" of 1918.
But there is a little clause in the rules that reads like this;
Crows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act but can be taken out of season, without a permit, when caught in the act of committing, or about to commit, damage to ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock or wildlife.
Now, I'll give a Crow a pass if he keeps his beak closed,,, but a group of jackjaws or rooks,, they are definitely about to commit damage,, to something.

Indians had a rich oral culture and the recorded speeches of Indians at particular time was rich in rhetoric. They had all the talent of Cicero with out ever hearing of him. They had the metaphor of a bad bird told you or told me or says something. Were they crows, jackdaws,magpies. Although I’ve had more then one sparrow poop on me during my time a field. And them cardinals, what’s up with all that red in the green woods...what are they up to?

Had three hours this morning at the crows in the barley .It was hot and crows after a good feed in the early morning only want to sit in the trees and sun themselves. Managed a bag of 28 and picked up about 20 all rooks and no jack daws I was using a s/b 10 bore original with a 12 bore load
Feltwad

Had another busy week both crows and jackdaws have been causing a lot of damage to barley. The most destructive time is in the morning just after breaking daylight for a couple of hours so it has been early rising for me . The total bag for the week is 200 plus .
Feltwad

I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, I believe that he was in West Virginia trying local foods. He and others shot some crows, and a local woman prepared their breasts by putting a jalapino pepper in the breast and wrapping it in bacon. She grilled it over charcoal, Zimmern who is a chef, declared them delicious.

bud in pa said:
I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, I believe that he was in West Virginia trying local foods. He and others shot some crows, and a local woman prepared their breasts by putting a jalapino pepper in the breast and wrapping it in bacon. She grilled it over charcoal, Zimmern who is a chef, declared them delicious.
He is a bug eater :youcrazy: :rotf:

Feltwad said:
Had another busy week both crows and jackdaws have been causing a lot of damage to barley. The most destructive time is in the morning just after breaking daylight for a couple of hours so it has been early rising for me . The total bag for the week is 200 plus .
Feltwad
This morning with a early rise just after breaking daylight resulted in a bag of 48 jackdaws and rooks off laid barley. There is now large flocks of 100 plus of young rooks and jackdaws it is these birds that are causing the damage , tomorrow will be a rest day but the rest of the week will be a daily job and early rise.
Feltwad

FiremanBrad said:
Huh.
Gave me a hard time for shooting a turkey at 8 steps and then has to use decoys to get the bulge on a few old blind crows....

:v
:thumbsup:
Feltwad

Feltwad said:
FiremanBrad said:
Huh.
Gave me a hard time for shooting a turkey at 8 steps and then has to use decoys to get the bulge on a few old blind crows....

:v
:thumbsup:
Feltwad
The last two days have seen the start of combining the barley In the next few days the barley stubbles will be ploughed in the crows will then be attracted to the wheat and oat field so it will mean more early mornings.
Feltwad

FiremanBrad said:
Huh.
Those old blind crows are not to easy in decoying which is a art to obtain a big bag ,a novice will struggle to kill a few.
Feltwad

Latest posts

Back