• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Shooting Thru steel??? Is that possible...??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying some different shooting fun this week.
Fulfilling another viewer's request for my percussion shooting friends, enjoy:

Your gun could easily handle stupid charges. In excess of a grain to grain load, a hundred and eighty.
Your shoulder is another story.
Deer not having steel armor I would dare say your comfortable shots are plenty

Enjoyed the video and I think less powder would get the job done if the target was fixed where it would not swing as the swinging absorbs a lot of the energy from the bullet

Enjoyed the video and I think less powder would get the job done if the target was fixed where it would not swing as the swinging absorbs a lot of the energy from the bullet
This is true.
When I tried this on the flintlock video, it took less powder when I had the steel restricted from movement at the bottom.

Here's one for ya: someone once told me a muzzleloader ball will go through bullet proof glass. Something about the slower speed will burn through it whereas the modern bullet will glance off due to bullet design and a higher rate of speed. Don't know if that is true or not as I never had to shoot through bulletproof glass. At least not with a flintlock... Just food for thought...

Has anyone ever thought what happens to the bullet that hits one of those big dents and doesn't go through the steel? Our friend the OP will eventually find out the same way I've seen dozens of unlucky shooters before him with a trip to the ER to have fragments or worse pulled out of his flesh. There is a REASON to only shoot at undamaged HARDENED steel..... safety. This guy is living on borrowed time.

Has anyone ever thought what happens to the bullet that hits one of those big dents and doesn't go through the steel? Our friend the OP will eventually find out the same way I've seen dozens of unlucky shooters before him with a trip to the ER to have fragments or worse pulled out of his flesh. There is a REASON to only shoot at undamaged HARDENED steel..... safety. This guy is living on borrowed time.
Well, that whole thing was just to make another entertaining "Maniac" video. Any real test would have been done with a good sized new piece of steel of a known thickness firmly secured.

Nahh, he's far enough back...

I'm more afraid of a dried out dead Locust or Elm stump sending a ball back than any steel target. Brother Steve caught a lead .45 Colt in the chest off an Elm stump from about 10 yards, didn't break the skin but it left a welt. My poor old home made 75 yard Davis Tutt steel hanger is pretty well bowed from all the hits. The Whitworth with Linotype bullets is particularly hard on it:thumb: I've only seen one guy hit shooting steel, it was a piece of jacket from a very hot Commie pistol round. Bounced back a good 15 yards off AR500 and nicked him in the ankle drawing a bit of blood. As I said it was a hot round at 1600 or so FPS.

I'm more afraid of a dried out dead Locust or Elm stump sending a ball back than any steel target. Brother Steve caught a lead .45 Colt in the chest off an Elm stump from about 10 yards, didn't break the skin but it left a welt. My poor old home made 75 yard Davis Tutt steel hanger is pretty well bowed from all the hits. The Whitworth with Linotype bullets is particularly hard on it:thumb: I've only seen one guy hit shooting steel, it was a piece of jacket from a very hot Commie pistol round. Bounced back a good 15 yards off AR500 and nicked him in the ankle drawing a bit of blood. As I said it was a hot round at 1600 or so FPS.
Had a 38spl. unmentionable wad cutter tickle my ribs from a little less than 15 yards. Backstop was a mostly rotten white oak stump.

Back