• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crows On Barley

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I read about crow hunts I recall an incident in my youth not long after I was old enough for a drivers license.

I went duck hunting with a friend, a game warden on his day off. The night before I'd read an article about crow hunting.

In a slow period between duck flights a raven came winging by and I jumped up and shot it.

"What did you do that for!!!!" he shouted.

I told him about the article I just read, and he pointed out that it was a raven and not a crow.

I asked him what was the difference, and I'll never forget his answer:

"The biggest difference is a $500 fine plus court costs." :rotf:

Received a telephone request asking for help to shoot crows that are causing damage . This is a new ground farmer says there are 200 plus rooks and jackdaws , so it is a early rise tomorrow morning .
Feltwad

Feltwad said:
Received a telephone request asking for help to shoot crows that are causing damage . This is a new ground farmer says there are 200 plus rooks and jackdaws , so it is a early rise tomorrow morning .
Feltwad
Today was a good day fine and dry with a total of 67 mostly jackdaws the muzzle loading barrels were quite hot.
Feltwad

Feltwad said:
Feltwad said:
Feltwad
Today was a good day fine and dry with a total of 67 mostly jackdaws the muzzle loading barrels were quite hot.
Feltwad

Crows and jackdaws are turning their attention with most of the barley combined too the fields of oats and wheat more so the oats . Here we have had over 5 weeks of dry weather with very little rain the small burns have dried up so the crows and jackdaws are drinking from the field water troughs for cattle and sheep, the mess they leave is contaminating the water for the animals

This year the breeding season for these pests has seen the population double and shooting has done little reduction to their numbers.
Feltwad

I gather the farmers in your area don't use decoys like life size owl's and hawks sitting around their fields to scare away the crows and jackdaws?

Seems to me a few large owl decoys sitting on high places around the water troughs would keep most of them away?

Another thing they might try is a scarecrow or two.

I don't know if dressing the scarecrow in a gentleman's attire would impress them but if they were dressed as hungry dock workers, that might get their attention. :grin:

Zonie said:
I gather the farmers in your area don't use decoys like life size owl's and hawks sitting around their fields to scare away the crows and jackdaws?

Seems to me a few large owl decoys sitting on high places around the water troughs would keep most of them away?

Another thing they might try is a scarecrow or two.

I don't know if dressing the scarecrow in a gentleman's attire would impress them but if they were dressed as hungry dock workers, that might get their attention. :grin:
You will find that owl decoys and like have little effect after a couple of days this also goes for scare crows which are dressed in all kinds of attire I have seen crows perched on them .Here in the uk all hawks are protected although there are plenty of these crows when feeding will ignore their presence . Most farmers used the automatic bangers which are worked by propane gas and set to go off every hour or so but once again crows get used to them and just lift and settle back into the corn after a few minutes.
I think we must realise that the crow family are the most cunning bird and to shoot them over decoys and obtain large bags is a art and not for the novice.
Feltwad

There is no let up with the crows The numbers shot are rising into the late 100s which if no let up will be into four figures with in a fortnight. The damage done has been above normal, 4 days a week shooting results in a more than usual amount of powder and shot used..
Feltwad

I think crows are a wasted source of meat, especially when barley fed. Crows are omnivorous and their main diet is prime road kills and field crops in season. I'm sure some slick adman could market your crows and call them dark meated grouse. Who knows how popular they might be as a food source.....Fred

To be really successful in marketing crow meat, the ad man just has to add the word, "100% Organic".

Not only will it sell like hot-cakes but he can double the price and people will think they are getting a real deal. :grin:

nhmoose said:
Selling Crow meat will have to be in the UK as they are Migratory birds here in the USA. Shootable but Try selling them after IMHO I will pass.
Crows ,rooks, and jackdaws here do not migrate they will cover a area of square miles in search of food. You will find that carrion crows are very territorial and will drive out other crows of the same out of their area. If they did migrate it would make my job a lot easy shooting large numbers moves from the job of hunting and becomes a bore.
Feltwad

With most of the cereal crops harvest and resewn brings a end to the crow control for another year .it has been a hectic season which totalled four figures . It is now time to take it easy till November when we start the pheasant season when the leaf is off the trees .
Feltwad

My hat is off to you! :hatsoff:

You have diligently performed a most useful service, honing your skills, and getting to do it with some really neat old smoothbores. Hard work, but someone has to do it. :wink:

Now, take a well-deserved rest, so you can enjoy the pheasant season when it comes.

Richard/Grumpa

Feltwad said:
nhmoose said:
Selling Crow meat will have to be in the UK as they are Migratory birds here in the USA. Shootable but Try selling them after IMHO I will pass.
Crows ,rooks, and jackdaws here do not migrate they will cover a area of square miles in search of food. You will find that carrion crows are very territorial and will drive out other crows of the same out of their area. If they did migrate it would make my job a lot easy shooting large numbers moves from the job of hunting and becomes a bore.
Feltwad

welcome back

Thank you for the welcome but I will not be coming back for a long time .I only replied to my thread to finish the season of crows on Barley.

Feltwad

Feltwad, I have no experience using a muzzleloading shotgun for hunting, but I really enjoy reading your posts.

Samuel S. said:
Feltwad, I have no experience using a muzzleloading shotgun for hunting, but I really enjoy reading your posts.
Thank you Samuel S .
Glad you enjoyed my posts but many did not with their remarks that is why I left
Feltwad

Latest posts

Back