• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cost of a Kit Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built my own "kit". I made a lot of mistakes. I learned a great deal. I like it cause its mine. Now I am addicted to building the next one better. Your call.

I wouldn't brown it cause it is my understanding that did,nt become a common practice til around 1800. So I would polish it bright and then put a few years on it with 44/40 cold blue and bleach or some such way of aging an "in the white" new gun from the maker.

Just my thoughts. Good luck....have fun!

akapennypincher said:
I am think of buy this kit, and have a Builder Assemble it for me.
[url] http://www.redaviscompany.com/0412.html[/url]

Thanks for the replies, be it on forum, or PM.... :hatsoff:

I read all the posts to date - and if you are a klutz I understand why you wnat another to build it for you. Personally I'd buy one already built rather than a kit and have it built.
I have built one from a kit, no savings but lots of learning took place. On my second, this one is for the wife, and I'll attempt engraving and enlaying on it. The next one will be pieces bought seperately and assembled - that one will cause a greater learning curve but I've learned on the way to it. :hmm:
IMHO start off with a $200 kit and build it up then go for the one you want. Get rid of the klutz feeling on top of it! :)
Good luck either way...

Last edited by a moderator:
In the days of the era that we are fascinated with, certain makers made locks, certain makers made barrels, and certain makers made other parts. A lot of the fine "named" rifles/guns were assembled with other "named" parts and not actually made by the "maker". So, there is a certain amount of kit building that went on even in the heyday of the frontier gunbuilders.

In this age of affordable retirement, we probably have more fine craftsmen than at any other time in our history. Also, almost none of the people who actually carried/used these guns actually made them themselves. We are so fortunate now that some of us can afford the time and luxury to be able to gain the skills to do this. I think that it comes down to what ever suits your personal tastes/lifestyle. Kit Carson bought his rifle. Hawken likely assembled it as a kit, the parts being made by other makers up and down the street from him. I say, whether you make it or whether you purchase it, its yours.

B

I agree with what Bill just said. Some of you guys are real craftsmen. Some of you are Artisans that can seemingly do no wrong whether working with wood or steel. Me? I can't build a dog house and make it look right. There's no way I'd attempt to build my own rifle. I know if I did it'd be something I'd be very proud of but facts is facts. So, no matter whether you build it or someone else does it's still your rifle.

I'm fortunate to be able to build a LR, but if I weren't, I think the shortcut to the rifle you want, is to contact Mike Brooks, seeing this is sorta his "bag". Why fiddle around when the MLer of your dreams is within reach? Contact Mike!!

Back