• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cost of a Kit Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am think of buy this kit, and have a Builder Assemble it for me. The Furniture will be Iron, so i would expect the Furniture, Lock & Barrel to be Browned as part of the Build. also a Minimal About of Carving behind the Barrel Tang.

I ask some of you what would you expect that the Assemble, Browning, etc. to cost?

[url] http://www.redaviscompany.com/0412.html[/url]

Thanks for the replies, be it on forum, or PM.... :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe the originals were browned, but that's ok. Isn't this gun supposed to have a lot of engraving?

I don't build for a living and I because I'm not going to build it for you I guess the rules allow me to quote a price. I could put that kit together and do a little something behind the tang in about 25-30 hours. I think $600 would get it to your door.

Why not just buy it put it together yourself? Looks like all the hard work has been done.

11th corps said:
Why not just buy it put it together yourself? Looks like all the hard work has been done.

If you are "do-it-yourself" inclined this would be your best course of action, you will be able to fit the stock comb to fit yourself and have the acomplishment of building a fine weapon.

If you are not into doing it yourself you would be lots of $$$ ahead by just buying the finished gun.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

:snore: Its too bad that so many think kit. Not buy parts and build to your own desire thought and enjoyment. Bob

The engraving is cast into the buttplate ,sideplate and trigger guard. It's coarse, but it's there.

lonesomebob said:
:snore: Its too bad that so many think kit. Not buy parts and build to your own desire thought and enjoyment. Bob

I agree. more than half the fun is doing it yourself, imo. Also, with a bit of patience (in which there is a shockingly short supply these days) you will have a stock which fits you correctly- another phenomenon is short supply in our time of mass produced [insert tirade here].

At any rate, good luck, but i urge you to get a modest group of hand tools and go for it.

MSW

I haven't built that kit (only built one and it's not done yet) but I will say go for it and do it yourself. It's not as hard as it seems. Just don't do like I did and run a 1/16th drill bit under your finger nail to the quick like I did this afternoon :cursing: :hatsoff:

Jack

I personally believe that very, very few have the talent to even assemble a kit, much less build from parts and a chunk of wood. Most folks will have to ruin 5 or 6 kits to learn what it takes to assemble one properly. It's cheaper to pay someone to build your gun, unless you're going to go into the gun stocking trade. Gun stocking pays less than working at a fast food resturant I'm guessing. Just my 2 cents. No offence intended.

It's according to what the definition of ruined is. I didn't get my first two attempts near as good as some..but I found out it's hard to mess one up so bad it won't shoot...and that means a lot. I still like mine better than if I had let somebody do them for me. Course I ain't all that normal and others might rather have one so, so and pay extra not to have all that enjoyment of doing it their selves.

Nice set of parts. MY 2 CENTS build it yourself.
It will be your pride and joy. with all it's flaws...you are the only one that's going to know.
but be carefull. after that one, you will want to build another and another.etc.
however If you want to have one custom built then find one of the great builders on this forum, or check out the rifles that are for sale by TOTW, Dixon's, both TVM's,etc.
There are so many choices it's great

Have to agree both ways :grin:. I've seen $800 kits turn into $300 dollars worth of parts, on the other hand building or assembling something yourself has its rewards.

I look now in the driveway and look at a vehicle that needs some work, the parts are all made packed in their own seperate boxes... all it needs is some assembly, but theres something to it I am not a mechanic. Nor do I want to be, yes I can do the work, but I'd rather....

My point is I like my truck, and even driving it, I just don't want to do any major work on it. besides thats why we have mechanics.

I agree. Saving a bit of money is the worst reason to build your own. Build it because you enjoy it and would like to have the pride of knowing that you did so. Besides if you only want one really nice gun, having one built by a decent custom builder is probably cheaper than going through several in the learning curve as has already been stated.
Bill

What I did was have a trade gun built "in the white". That way the stuff I'm not capable of doing was done and with me finishing it myself, made it mine.

I understand about not building it yourself and I also understand about building it yourself as I am almost finished with my 1st build. That is a personal choice. The fun of ownership is there, if you do or don't. I see the mistakes in my gun, however, they are not that bad and as some have said in the forum you get better better as you go. Do what you want, its fun either way and someday you may decide to build. As for cost, I would say (I know a few guys who do it) 600.00 or so is what you'll end up paying. The funny thing is there will be mistakes made on that gun too, but you just won't see them. Thats the mark of a craftsman, Good Luck.

Back