• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Build advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my son being the amazing young man that he is decided that since Pop's doesn't have a Blunderbuss he was going to get one. He got me a nice kit that I will have to put together so I have some questions. I have never built anything like this from a kit and with the exception of the lock everything is pretty much in the white.

1: Would it be more appropriate to blue the barrel or brown it given it's a Blunderbuss? What is the best method of doing this at home?

2: I was thinking of rubbing the stock down using boiled linseed oil then finishing it off with furniture wax. Anyone have better ideas?

3: I will need to smooth out some of the brass edges on the furniture. What's your prefered method of doing this?

I have been shooting black powder since I was young but admittedly I am a complete novice in all of this process other than minor repairs. I have gone through this forum about what others have done but since I had so many questions I wanted to lump them into one thread. I would greatly appreciate any sagely advice any of you builders can offer. Thanks in advance.

So my son being the amazing young man that he is decided that since Pop's doesn't have a Blunderbuss he was going to get one. He got me a nice kit that I will have to put together so I have some questions. I have never built anything like this from a kit and with the exception of the lock everything is pretty much in the white.

1: Would it be more appropriate to blue the barrel or brown it given it's a Blunderbuss? What is the best method of doing this at home?

2: I was thinking of rubbing the stock down using boiled linseed oil then finishing it off with furniture wax. Anyone have better ideas?

3: I will need to smooth out some of the brass edges on the furniture. What's your prefered method of doing this?

I have been shooting black powder since I was young but admittedly I am a complete novice in all of this process other than minor repairs. I have gone through this forum about what others have done but since I had so many questions I wanted to lump them into one thread. I would greatly appreciate any sagely advice any of you builders can offer. Thanks in advance.
I'm a little curious what this kit is.

#1 suit your self, I’d blue.
#2 boiled linseed oil is the least effective finish to pick and wasn’t used back in the day. It was used to make a varnish to use.
#3 a mill file to clean up the castings especially the edges and bottoms before inletting. And needle files for complex edges.

I don't know much about the blunderbuss but I do build flintlocks so hopefully this helps.

It is believed that gunsmiths started browning barrels after 1790. Before that Barrels were left in the "Bright", or charcoal blued, or heat blued. What is appropriate for your build is up to you.

Your stock treatment sounds fine.

I use files and sandpaper and wire wheels on brass furniture.

Hope that helps.

I don't know much about the blunderbuss but I do build flintlocks so hopefully this helps.

It is believed that gunsmiths started browning barrels after 1790. Before that Barrels were left in the "Bright", or charcoal blued, or heat blued. What is appropriate for your build is up to you.

Your stock treatment sounds fine.

I use files and sandpaper and wire wheels on brass furniture.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, some good ideas there. I thought about leaving it bright but I think for this I want to do something with it. Partly because I want to learn how to do this and do it properly. I am not familiar with the charcoal bluing process. Would you kindly educate me on this?

I made mine brown. I finished the stock with a couple of coats of walnut minwax. Inside and out. I don't think there is a more durable finish that requires as little maintenance. My brass was all 'as cast' and required a lot of fine emery work to get it smooth enough to hit with the polishing wheel. I had to file down the mold seams and such.

Attachments

• Blunderbuss1.jpg
    Blunderbuss1.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks, some good ideas there. I thought about leaving it bright but I think for this I want to do something with it. Partly because I want to learn how to do this and do it properly. I am not familiar with the charcoal bluing process. Would you kindly educate me on this?
Charcoal blue is simple enough to do but requires care in the process to get good results. The steel parts are polished well and all oils removed. Handle them with cotton gloves because the smallest trace of oil will mare the finished blue. What I do is place the parts in a crucible carefully filled with natural charcoal, be sure no part touch the sides or another part. Heat to 800F degrees and hold for two hours. Turn off the furnace and allow to cool to room temperature before removing. Carefully take the parts out of the charcoal and coat inside and out with machine oil. Allow them to set for two days then gently wipe of excess oil. Here’s an example.
IMG_0400 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

The old saying for using linseed oil....rub it in every day for a week, every week for a month, then monthly for a year, then renew yearly. As I recall.

Charcoal blue is simple enough to do but requires care in the process to get good results. The steel parts are polished well and all oils removed. Handle them with cotton gloves because the smallest trace of oil will mare the finished blue. What I do is place the parts in a crucible carefully filled with natural charcoal, be sure no part touch the sides or another part. Heat to 800F degrees and hold for two hours. Turn off the furnace and allow to cool to room temperature before removing. Carefully take the parts out of the charcoal and coat inside and out with machine oil. Allow them to set for two days then gently wipe of excess oil. Here’s an example.
IMG_0400 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
That sure did turn out pretty.

If its the Traditions Blunderbuss (like this)
IMG_3903.jpeg

I am on the same path as you just a few steps ahead, so my thinking is:
#1: I though about doing it in Plum Brown as I like my Kentucky Rifle turned out, but I'm being lazy and going to try cold blue (Perma Blue). If it doesn't work out, I will strip it and try something else. I do plan to blue the inside the muzzle as its over 2" wide on a .54 cal smoothbore.
IMG_3899.jpeg

#2: I have some Tru Oil, so after a medium to dark stain, that's the path I'm taking but I don't see why boiled linseed oil and wax would not work.
#3: A small file and an assortment of sand paper with different shaped backers (paint sticks and dowels) to match contours is what I am using. Make sure to take the time to go though the grits and remove the previous grits scratches.

Happy building

Last edited:
If its the Traditions Blunderbuss (like this)
View attachment 283891

I am on the same path as you just a few steps ahead, so my thinking is:
#1: I though about doing it in Plum Brown as I like my Kentucky Rifle turned out, but I being lazy and going to try cold blue (Perma Blue). If it doesn't work out, I will strip it and try something else. I do plan to blue the inside the muzzle as its over 2" wide on a .54 cal smoothbore.
View attachment 283908
#2: I have some Tru Oil, so after a medium to dark stain, that's the path I'm taking but I don't see why boiled linseed oil and wax would not work.
#3: A small file and an assortment of sand paper with different shaped backers (pain sticks and dowels) to match contours is what I am using. Make sure to take the time to go though the grits and remove the previous grits scratches.

Happy building
That is the same kit my amazing son got me. Thanks for posting all of this. Please keep your progress updated here if you would. I'd love to see how everything turns out and how you accomplished it.

Regards

Edit: "but I being lazy" -------- Love it 😆😅🤣😂

Last edited:
If it were mine, I’d PAINT it! Many trade guns and sea going guns were painted, sometimes in red or blue. Something different.

You could paint a Burl pattern on the stock, then oil finish for an interesting look. Or fake the striped maple look with ink stripes, like the old leman trade rifles.

LOL .... Good post ! :)
I have also read several times...dont remember where, that stocks would be placed in a tub of heated linseed oil for a couple weeks....I think it was for Brown Bess stocks, but I have also heard that they used a mixture.

Back