• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colerain Turkey Choke Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Baker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm building up a fowler that I plan on using primarily for hunting turkey. Am considering using a Colerain Turkey choke barrel but dont know how well this barrel performs. Is there enough difference in pattern to justify loosing the versatility of only being able to shot shot and not round ball? Anyone out there have any experience with this barrel?
Thanks

I can't address the question of giving up versatility in return for improved pattern, that's a personal decision. I can tell you, though, that the performance of the barrel is excellent. I've been using one for the last 15 years, have taken near a dozen turkeys with it, a couple out to 40 yards, and it is completely reliable.

Here are patterns at 25-30-35 yards using 80 gr. FFFg, 2 cards of 1/8 inch, 1 1/2 oz. #6 shot.

I have only shot one thing other than a turkey with the barrel, a gray squirrel. I had been thinking I might try working up some lighter loads for the squirrels in some very tall trees on my place, so one day as I was walking out from a turkey hunt I shot a squirrel. It was in a fairly tall tree, the base just at 50 yards from where I was standing. The squirrel never had a chance, was shot up so I had to discard some of its front end. That was with a turkey load, of course.

My barrel is 20 gauge, 38" long, 1" at the breech, octagon-to-16-to-round with wedding band, tapered through both the flats and round sections and swamped. It is choked "extra full turkey", which amounts to a decrease to 24 gauge. The breech tapers from 1.0” to .91” at the wedding band. After the band the round tapers from .87” down to .77” and then flares back to .85”.

It's a heck of a barrel.

Spence

Pard Spence 10 ,s advice lines up with what ive found to be true with Colerains TCB.I have had mine a few seasons now and it has performed like I expected .You might want to add a rear sight though cause close up shots in the body would be a mess.Also you should check out Spence 10 web site as its full of good stories and info. Curt

I was thinking that since the barrel is specifically for turkeys which cannot smell the burning cord, the barrel might be great for a "pilgrim" matchlock. Building one and bringing home Thanksgiving dinner would make for a great story. I wonder what a blaze orange pilgrim hat would look like By the way, my granddad "Catfish" lived in Middlebury. We used to hunt rabbits. :shocked2:

dyemaker that matchlock sounds like a neat idea .I have no experience with one but I bettca they work just fine.By the way who would your granddad be ,as we have lived here 30 plus years so we might know him .its allways good to meet new folks .Curt

You will not be disapointed in the patterns..
Consider a rear sight.
Those turkeys are in trouble now!
I use a cloth shot cup to reduce leading in the barrel.
No round balls !!!!!!

Could anybody post up any more details on loads for turkey hunting with the Colerain barrel?
I haven't hunted with mine in a couple of years and I've lost all of my load info.

Thanks!

Info I got along with the barrel for starting load was 75 gr.fff, 7/8 to 1 oz shot 2 op cards & 1 os card. Not finished with barrel yet so have no had a chance to try load out. Barrel builder did test firing with that load and #5 shot with good pattern out to 35 yards.

My silly season is winding down and I'm reconnecting..sorry the late reply.

Go to member serach"Capt.Fred"

look for ....Post: Funky Fowler (Topic#245040)

Awesome patterns..almost to good!

this should help..good luck pt me for ????

Back