• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jr campbell

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got my fowler wed and had to order a cleaning jag and scraper.I have cleaning kit for my modern shotguns.My question is can I use the wire bush and patches to clean the gun until my stuff comes in?I have turkey season coming in next week and need to shoot this weekend.

I don't suggest you use a sectional rod to clean. The are known to come apart. Avoid the wire brushes as they have been known to stick down-bore (check this forum for the stories).

The easiest thing you could do is tie a stout string around a piece of cloth (or wad of Tow) that gives a snug fit to the bore. Wet the cloth, push it down with the rod and pull it out with the string. Repeat until clean. Dry in a similar manner.

Another option is to use coat-hanger and twist a worm that fits the end of your rod (should burnish a groove for a firm attachment), load it with Tow and clean you smoothbore.

A jag is helpful, a scraper is useless...

Your modern rod may not be long enough.

What is the barrel length of your new fowler?

Whats the gauge?

Probably should have ordered a working rod of brass or stainless steel when you ordered the jag and scraper. A good jag can clean the breech face just about as good as cleaning with a scraper.

Did you order an adjustable powder measure? You need that too unless you already have one.

Enjoy your new gun and tell us all about it.

I often use a well worn(so it doesn't fit so tight) or used brush with a cleaning patch wrapped around it. Turn the brush sideways before you pull back out so the bristles don't have to reverse themselves to keep from getting stuck. I think there is less chance of it getting stuck in a smooth bore.

The fowler is a 20 gauge 42 inch barrel tvm.I have 2f and 4f powder turn screw flints powder measure primer shot cards and cushion wads.I thought I had every thing but missed the jag and scraper.

A good jag will do you wonders. Don't forget to unscrew It and dry the threads off when you're done cleaning. Black Hand's method sounds great, too, Ive got a tow ball tied with string I plan on using my next outing

Black Hand is quite correct!

The easiest thing you could do is tie a stout string around a piece of cloth (or wad of Tow) that gives a snug fit to the bore. Wet the cloth, push it down with the rod and pull it out with the string. Repeat until clean. Dry in a similar manner.

And oil in a similar manner..., :wink:

The only mistakes that folks make doing this are they use too weak of a string and breaks (I use 25 lbs. test linen fishing line), or they use a very tight piece of dry cloth when drying and can't get it out. If something gets stuck during drying, pour a little water down the barrel to wet the cloth, and it comes loose. The begin drying again.

This method, also works if you have fired a lot of blanks during a demonstration, and you have an unnormally thick layer of BP residue. I have used a small piece of 3M style "green dish scrubbie" to get serious fouling out.

I teach this method as a basic method for muzzleloader cleaning to kids at Hunter Safety. It's great if for some reason you don't have your normal cleaning tools, but you do have access to string, or to a store that sells stout string.

LD

Back