• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Pedersoli Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So............where to start

First water or water with a little Dawn dish washing soap and some oil when your done is all you will ever need to clean your rifle. Plug the nipple with a wooden tooth pick or whatever and scrub away and then oil.

Figure out how to get the barrel out of the wood, it will come out and accuracy will not be hurt, coat the bottom of the barrel with R.I.G. (my favorite) or with a good paste wax so you do not have to worry about water getting between the wood and the barrel. Do not take the barrel out of the wood for say.....10-20 years or so.

Yes, I followed the Pedersoli cleaning instructions step by step. Have watched YouTube videos and read much by doing Google searches, very frustrated and have yet to shoot my new rifle.
Take out the tang screw, wedges and ramrod. Maybe send a photo too. But this should slow it to come out. Oh yes, out hanger in half clock

Thank you. I have read cleaning as you described without removing barrel but then have read how corrosive black powder is. One thing concerns me is pouring a jug of water down barrel is spilling a little and it runs down the bottom of the barrel causing rust, how do you avoid that?
I’d it a flintlock or precision? You can just plug the touch hole. If it’s precision, buy one of those devices that screw into where the nipple goes. It has a hose and goes into a bucket of warm water. That works great.

Look here: Ox-Yoke Muzzleloaders Black Out Flush Cleaning System – RMC Ox-Yoke Muzzleloader Supplies

If you have a flint, there are other systems, don’t despair, it’s not hard.

I made a nice cleaning station that allows thorough cleaning the barrel without taking it off the stock or getting water on the stock. The sprayer was modified with copper tubing that will go to the breech plug on any firearm I own.
View attachment 263669
View attachment 263668
Genius! I did something similar but with a pump and gallon jug. I am going to convert to this one.

I’d it a flintlock or precision? You can just plug the touch hole. If it’s precision, buy one of those devices that screw into where the nipple goes. It has a hose and goes into a bucket of warm water. That works great.

Look here: Ox-Yoke Muzzleloaders Black Out Flush Cleaning System – RMC Ox-Yoke Muzzleloader Supplies

If you have a flint, there are other systems, don’t despair, it’s not hard.
Thank you very much it’s going on order as soon as I figure out the nipple threads. Thanks Again!

Pedersoli has several rifles that they call Hawken so I don’t know what you have. None the less they all work about the same. Half cock the hammer and remove the ram rod. Remove the key (wedge) and lift he barrel muzzle first till the breech un hooks from the tang. The key or keys maybe tight and require a plastic mallet to move and a punch of some kind to push threw .
Removing the barrel is standard procedure on these rifles but removing the breech should not! I trust we are talking about the same thing.
Hawken Target. Not messing with the breech at all. Thanks for the help but it’s still in there.

Pedersoli instructions leave much to be desired. I sympathize with a first-timer trying to disassemble from their instructions. Screen shot of which is here:
View attachment 263618
... and that is it; absolutely it. So for the OP, I'd recommend going to YouTube and watch a variety of videos that give much better step-by-step detail on disassembling and cleaning muzzleloader firearms of all types, brands, makes and models.

Suggested YouTube search keywords, some combination of: Pedersoli Hawken rifle disassembly cleaning barrel removal.
Thank you, still trying.

Pedersoli Hawken rifles do not have a hooked breach (I know Because I have one). To clean remove the Nipple or Lock if flint. It is then up to you to either remove the flash liner or not on the flint model.
I then swab the barrel with 3 sopping wet patches. Then stand rifle up and pour a jug of boiling water down barrel. Keeping the heat of the water on the barrel in mind clean as usual with patches.
They are the only Hawken type rifle I have come across without a hooked breach and are pretty much the same as Pedersoli`s Kentucky rifle.

If you really want to remove the barrel remove the barrel wedge and take out the tang screw (after you have removed the Ram Rod of course). I removed the Barrel years ago to sand and oil the stock but have never had a reason to remove it other than that.

( Pedersoli Hawken is made differently to other Hawken Rifles)
Thank you very much..

Typical. You can't expect a first-posting new member to know and observe established community mores. Give 'em a pass and just offer the help and answer the question. Presume honesty and good intent, and if it's something else, it'll come out in the end. IMO the content of your post is kind of like a presumption of guilt until proven innocent.
Thanks but I’m really at a loss what the foul was for asking a simple question for help from experienced guys

Genius! I did something similar but with a pump and gallon jug. I am going to convert to this one.
The idea came from a video Pedersoli put out using a stand like that that puts the muzzle lower than the breech and they used a pressure steam cleaner to thoroughly clean the barrel of a musket. Then dried it with patches and oiled the bore. Wish I had saved that video, may be on their web site though..

They are not weapons unless you use it as such. Firearms is the preferred word. .

I used to take my barrel out and take it into the shower and use steaming hot water, dawn soap and a jag to strip the barrel of everything, then I seasoned the barrel and never washed it again.
Just hand cleaning with No. 13 bore cleaner.

Thank you. I have read cleaning as you described without removing barrel but then have read how corrosive black powder is. One thing concerns me is pouring a jug of water down barrel is spilling a little and it runs down the bottom of the barrel causing rust, how do you avoid that?
The barrel dries out along with the stock channel from the water you used being at boiling temperature and the heat remaining in the barrel after.
I clean all my muzzleloaders in pretty much the same way and have never had any rust issue inside or outside the barrel. I also always leave the rifle in the sun or by the fire for a few hours after cleaning.

They are not weapons unless you use it as such. Firearms is the preferred word. .

I used to take my barrel out and take it into the shower and use steaming hot water, dawn soap and a jag to strip the barrel of everything, then I seasoned the barrel and never washed it again.
Just hand cleaning with No. 13 bore cleaner.
That used to be my method for cleaning milsurps after shooting corrosive ammo through them.

Back