• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Pedersoli Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased a new Pedersoli 54 cal Hawken and tried to remove the barrel so after I shot it I could be effeminate and give it a good deep cleaning, could not get barrel out. Went to the internet and found directions the same as user guide I downloaded from Pedersoli but also found info that barrel should not be removed because the extreme tightness lends to the guns very good accuracy. So I don’t know what to do, shoot it and clean the heck out of the barrel, send it back or take to a gun smith to get barrel out. I’m 70 years old and this is my first Blackpowder weapon. Please advise.

Pedersoli has several rifles that they call Hawken so I don’t know what you have. None the less they all work about the same. Half cock the hammer and remove the ram rod. Remove the key (wedge) and lift he barrel muzzle first till the breech un hooks from the tang. The key or keys maybe tight and require a plastic mallet to move and a punch of some kind to push threw .
Removing the barrel is standard procedure on these rifles but removing the breech should not! I trust we are talking about the same thing.

Pedersoli instructions leave much to be desired. I sympathize with a first-timer trying to disassemble from their instructions. Screen shot of which is here:
Screenshot.png

... and that is it; absolutely it. So for the OP, I'd recommend going to YouTube and watch a variety of videos that give much better step-by-step detail on disassembling and cleaning muzzleloader firearms of all types, brands, makes and models.

Suggested YouTube search keywords, some combination of: Pedersoli Hawken rifle disassembly cleaning barrel removal.

Pedersoli Hawken rifles do not have a hooked breach (I know Because I have one). To clean remove the Nipple or Lock if flint. It is then up to you to either remove the flash liner or not on the flint model.
I then swab the barrel with 3 sopping wet patches. Then stand rifle up and pour a jug of boiling water down barrel. Keeping the heat of the water on the barrel in mind clean as usual with patches.
They are the only Hawken type rifle I have come across without a hooked breach and are pretty much the same as Pedersoli`s Kentucky rifle.

If you really want to remove the barrel remove the barrel wedge and take out the tang screw (after you have removed the Ram Rod of course). I removed the Barrel years ago to sand and oil the stock but have never had a reason to remove it other than that.

( Pedersoli Hawken is made differently to other Hawken Rifles)

Last edited:

Like a lot of other first posts we've seen lately.
Typical. You can't expect a first-posting new member to know and observe established community mores. Give 'em a pass and just offer the help and answer the question. Presume honesty and good intent, and if it's something else, it'll come out in the end. IMO the content of your post is kind of like a presumption of guilt until proven innocent.

Last edited:
Pedersoli instructions leave much to be desired. I sympathize with a first-timer trying to disassemble from their instructions. Screen shot of which is here:
View attachment 263618
... and that is it; absolutely it. So for the OP, I'd recommend going to YouTube and watch a variety of videos that give much better step-by-step detail on disassembling and cleaning muzzleloader firearms of all types, brands, makes and models.

Suggested YouTube search keywords, some combination of: Pedersoli Hawken rifle disassembly cleaning barrel removal.
These instructions seem adequate to me.

These instructions seem adequate to me.
.... I’m 70 years old and this is my first Blackpowder weapon. Please advise.
Does that qualify your estimate of the adequacy of the instructions?
I remember disassembling my first gun and being entirely frustrated by the user's manual instructions, which took me far astray. I've learned that user's manuals usually need to be supplemented by and/or clarified by other sources. User manual writers write for company lawyers, not for end users.

I made a nice cleaning station that allows thorough cleaning the barrel without taking it off the stock or getting water on the stock. The sprayer was modified with copper tubing that will go to the breech plug on any firearm I own.
View attachment 263669
View attachment 263668
would not clean my muzzleloader like that ( because im a friend of less water and more oil :ghostly: ) but that looks cool 👍

Pedersoli has several rifles that they call Hawken so I don’t know what you have. None the less they all work about the same. Half cock the hammer and remove the ram rod. Remove the key (wedge) and lift he barrel muzzle first till the breech un hooks from the tang. The key or keys maybe tight and require a plastic mallet to move and a punch of some kind to push threw .
Removing the barrel is standard procedure on these rifles but removing the breech should not! I trust we are talking about the same thing.
The Hawken “Target” model.

Pedersoli Hawken rifles do not have a hooked breach (I know Because I have one). To clean remove the Nipple or Lock if flint. It is then up to you to either remove the flash liner or not on the flint model.
I then swab the barrel with 3 sopping wet patches. Then stand rifle up and pour a jug of boiling water down barrel. Keeping the heat of the water on the barrel in mind clean as usual with patches.
They are the only Hawken type rifle I have come across without a hooked breach and are pretty much the same as Pedersoli`s Kentucky rifle.

If you really want to remove the barrel remove the barrel wedge and take out the tang screw (after you have removed the Ram Rod of course). I removed the Barrel years ago to sand and oil the stock but have never had a reason to remove it other than that.

( Pedersoli Hawken is made differently to other Hawken Rifles)
Thank you. I have read cleaning as you described without removing barrel but then have read how corrosive black powder is. One thing concerns me is pouring a jug of water down barrel is spilling a little and it runs down the bottom of the barrel causing rust, how do you avoid that?

Back