• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

chicken fried steak

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to All,

One of "the deep dark secrets" of TX is that we started making chicken-fried streak because the beef that remained here, rather than sold out of state, was in the 19th Century so BAD that you had to beat it with the edge of a plate to be able to chew it.

150+ years later, we still send the vast majority of our GREAT fat steers out of TX, as it will sell for more $$$$$$$, by the pound, "on the hoof" in KS than the same steer will slaughtered/cut/packed locally.
(When our family used to have a FEW aged, i.e. over 4YO, fat steers to sell, they generally went to a BIG/"high-dollar" Dallas-based steakhouse franchise & at a handsome price per pound, straight out of the pasture.)

yours, satx

Lots of leather scraps,beef flavored hard tack and meat that used to be armor plate on battleships has ended up as food. Fact is some of this to hard to cut steaks turn out to have the best flavor

This puts me to mind of casked beef. I can't help wonder if salted stored beef that had been pulled out months later and soaked in teped water might not have started all this.

Well I have read that you can take a piece of beef from a cask, set it out to dry, when dry it will cut like wood and will finish off smooth, you can make a snuff or pill box from it, and it looks like rose wood or mahogany. :shocked2: should you be starving you can pop the box from your pocket and have at least one more meal before you go.

Fwiw, we "former denizens" of THE FORTY ACRES miss playing the CORNHUSKERS every so often.
(The WV MOUNTAINEERS aren't a good substitute for Nebraska, imvho.)

Btw, I fixed CFS with some tough but tasty round steak tonight, with white gravy & biscuits for David & me.

yours, satx

Tough range cattle, yep, that is how they get rid of the tough stuff in the market. However, if you take the tenderized market meat and sprinkle it with meat tenderizer and put it in a zip lock bag in the fridge over night, it will come out nice and tender. I do all of my tougher cuts of meat that way and I think that meat tenderizer is the secret to cooking many cuts of meat.

can someone explain to me why they call it chicken fried steak if there's no chicken in it? why not just call it flour fried steak or skillet fried steak.

frontierman01 said:
can someone explain to me why they call it chicken fried steak if there's no chicken in it? why not just call it flour fried steak or skillet fried steak.
Same reason they call them fried green tomatoes...what it is! :wink: :haha:

I have cooked venison this way many times. It is about my favorite way of fixing venison steaks. I mix flour, salt and pepper and put it in one pan. Then I mix eggs with water in a ratio of 1 tablespoon of water to each egg and put that in another pan. In a third pan, I put Panko crumbs. If you don't have Panko crumbs, you can use crumbled up corn flakes. I first dip the steaks in the flour mixture and shake off any excess flour. Then they go into the egg mixture and then into the Panko crumbs. Lastly, they go into a cast iron skillet of hot oil until done and browned. Do not over cook.

Note: many folks use milk instead of water to mix with the eggs. The difference is that milk makes more of a breaded coating while water makes more of a crisp coating. It has to do with water generating steam in the frying pan and this steam causes the crust to be a bit more crispy. The Panko crumbs (or crushed corn flakes) also give the steak a crispy coating. So, if you prefer a crispy coating use the water and Panko but if you prefer a more bread like coating, use milk and skip the Panko crumbs. In either case, I prefer to double dip the meat into the coating. First into the flour, then in the egg mixture and finally back into either the flour mixture or the Panko crumbs.

frontierman01 said:

It gets better, some folks wanted to eat boneless, skinless chicken breast. Now fried chicken is a drumstick, etc. and chicken fried STEAK is beef so the boneless, skinless deal is chicken fried chicken.

And, yeah, range beef- either a stew or cube and fried.
AND...buttermilk dip- to make the bread crumbs stick.

The direct translation of the scots Gallic of culops is chicken fried... also direct translation of schnitzel is also chicken fried. One of the Roman cook books from late republican times calls for sliced beef dipped in olive oil then fine wheat flour, fried in olive oil in the’ manner of a chicken’ and served with rotten fish sauce.
Should you believe any of this I have a great cash only investment opertunity for you. :haha:

frontierman01 said:

It is called "chicken fried" simply because it is fried in the same manner as fried chicken. But, you are free to call it whatever you wish. As Shakespeare said "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Not in Texas.

Kinda like fajitas, they are made from beef skirt, no such thing as chicken or shrimp fajitas.

cause.

Was sitting in Friendship last month in the pistol shack during the rain and the discussion turned to cooking and chili.

One fellow said he put spagetti in his chili, sigh, that is sad.

I find it FUNNY that some people talk about "chicken-fried chicken", which is to say: Chicken that is fried like fried chicken.

ROTFLMAO at such dolts.

yours, satx

Latest posts

Back