• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

chicken fried steak

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CFS became "The National Fried Dinner of Texas" just about the same time that the FLOOD of Germans, Pomeranians & Czechs arrived in our State. Thus, I suspect you are 100% CORRECT.

yours, satx

Well, the several 1/2" THICK slices of that HUGE steak that I had were GREAT, so you wouldn't choke on the steak because it wasn't GOOD beef OR because it was POORLY PREPARED for sure.
(The steak that we 4 received was a GIANT/TENDER PORTERHOUSE & served Medium Rare.)

BTW, the YOUNGEST winner was barely 9YO & the ELDEST winner was 92YO. ===> BOTH finished their meal with time to spare & the 92YO gentleman wanted & received a SECOND dessert (a LARGE slice of mincemeat pie with ice cream), "on the house".

yours, satx

Yeah- my grandmother either made chicken fried steak or Swiss steak. I think there was a strong German influence- they were already in the habit of frying beef (or veal) so the CFS wasn't that different- just cube it to make it "eatable".
On a tough piece of elk, etc.- I never had it that way because I want to taste the elk (actual elk burger)- but the CFS for elk ought to work okay. I've had elk meatloaf wrapped in bacon.

crockett said:
Don't use good beef for cfs. It was designed to use tough old range cattle. Cross cut the dickens out of it, dip in buttermilk (essential) then bread crumbs, then fry. Put on the white milk gravy and snaps and mashed potato. There is a place in Norman OK with a CFS deal- big as a steering wheel but if you finish it- its free.

uummm, what's the name of that joint crockett?
these ol' mountaineers I go camp with - we use trash can lids for dinner plates!!

Actually- I think I could "do it" if I had time and didn't eat for a day or two prior.

Btw, have you heard about the Texas AGGIE who moved from Bryan, TX to Norman, OK & raised the average IQ of both States by 5 points??

yours, satx

DW and BIL went to OSU so they are both getting a chuckle out of that one. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Think nothing of it. = I would have been UT/Austin Class of '69, had I finished my degree there.
(Cut me & I bleed BURNT ORANGE. = As the saying on The 40 ACRES goes, "You dare not bleed red, as someone would surely believe that you might be an OU fan.")

yours, satx

I'd probably bleed Nebraska red since I graduated from there back when it still was the University of Nebraska, part of the Big 8 and before it became the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Now, my daughters and money went to Kansas State.

And I do like chicken fried steak.

Latest posts

Back