• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Centermark fowler loads.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorAaron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I got the fowler out this weekend and shot it a bunch of various loads. I had the best luck with 60 grains ffg,OP,Cousion wad,80 grains of 6 and 7.5 mixed shot,OS card. For The round ball 70 grains of ffg with .20 patch and .600 ball I could shoot good up to 20 yards.

What loads would you guys suggest for everyday use for shot.

How can i improve shooting the fowler with a ball?

any imput helps Thanks you Aaron

I used to get very good accuracy with a couple of .62 smoothbores using a .595 or .600 ball with a snug but not pounding in tight patch combo and 80-90 gr 3f powder, it has seemed to me that smoothbores have a lot more fiddling around room before one finds the sweet spot that they are the most accurate,.Also try just replacing the shot with ball in the shot column and various methods of wadding and carding a bare ball. In time you will likley get at least 3"-4" groups at 50,yds with no rear sight but a rear sight should tighten things up a bit and rear sights are quite acceptable on many types of smoothbores from a historical perspective and probably not a bad way to see what the gun wil do. They can be removed after this is determined if one wishes and a blank inserted in the dovetail.Good luck and enjoy the journey.

What loads would you guys suggest for everyday use for shot.

How can i improve shooting the fowler with a ball?
Shot loads depend on application.what are you hunting?
Shooting a ball? Practice alot.

Rifleman1776 said:
rear sights are quite acceptable on many types of smoothbores from a historical perspective

A correct statement. But, keep in mind, most competitions do not allow rear sights on smoothies.
I beg to differ. What is mostly not allowed is rear sights in trade gun matches. Every smoothbore match I've shot in in the last 2 or 3 years allow rear sighted guns (NRLHF types).

I used 80 gr 2F & same measure of 6 shot for clay birds in my last 20 ga. Centermark. Worked fine.

Back