• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me. I'm moving to Florida. My poor barrels!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unlikely that it was actually salted bacon grease. More likely they applied an automotive grease and just jokingly told you it was bacon grease.
You could always test modern salted bacon grease an a piece of cleaned steel like some big common nails in board, bacon grease them and set them aside for weekly observation.

Same for brake fluid oil, the type that warns not the label that this product can absorb water vapour from the air.
Wipe some of that oil on steel and see how long it takes to rust.
Not sure how it was done, but I would see them sometimes use the paper towels from which we had eaten the freshly-cooked bacon that morning... Never encountered any auto oil that smelled like bacon. Oh, well. Another mystery from my youth...

Back