• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

caywood or track of the wolf?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am going to build a flinter, an english fowler.
I see where caywood has them in 12, and TOTW has them in 20.
I like the Caywood site and the fact they are very candid about being correct in every way possible.
I also like Caywoods picures and their stain color, plus the wood.
Can anyone here tell me some pros and cons as to which company to use?
I'll be honest, I'm leaning really heavy towards the Caywood kits.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I've bought several of Danny Caywoods guns and ther are high quality. I've always ordered mine in the "WHITE" 95% complete. One of them is the English sporting fowler. I've had (1) TOW gun ....NEVER AGAIN. :redthumb:

Newt,
I've built several component sets from TOW, Had really nice wood, had really bad wood. I've built that English fowler in cherry, and it was georgeous. But have sent back every piece of maple I've gotten from them.
As far as components, they are the same as everyone elses. When it comes to locks, barrels, triggers, and hardware, they all get them in the same places. (except for a few custom casters)
I've seen a lot of Caywoods stuff.... they make some nice pieces. The only weak parts that I have seen, are the locks, and the availability of replacement parts. Remember, you can only get them from Caywood.
I like to get my wood from either Dunlap or Tiger Hunt, locks from Chambers, furniture, you can get anywhere.
MLBS has a nice English fowler stock and of course the associated parts. You can have it inlet to your level of expertise.
Hope that helps.
:peace: :winking: :m2c:

BY using a custom gun maker vs store bought...You can specify certain things: cast off, drop, trigger pull, straight or swamped barrels, grade of wood, furnature ect.
the wood to metal fit on all Caywood guns are much better. No comparison (SP) . :redthumb:

Well I called Caywood today, I was shocked!(pleasantly)
Seems the gun I am wanting comes with the brass furniture cast with the engraving.....that really made my day!
The gentleman I talked with, holds the same beliefs as I do as to why we hunt and he was able to answer all my questions and more.
I'm really looking forward to this spring when I can order a semi finished gun.
I liken their workmanship and wood more towards the realm of artwork, it's amazing.
Walking the woods no matter what season with a fine gun is all a person needs out of life.
OK that and a chance at a shot :)
Btw after seeing the website pics the better half here wants one as well :)

Back