• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buying black powder at BassPro

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BassPro has a dozen or more physical stores in America. I live near one. Has anyone here this year, or late last year, bought black powder there inside the actual store?

I am also curious about this online catalog item at Basspro online:
http://www.basspro.com/Pyrodex-Powder/product/35461/133086

As we all know RS is associated with FFg and P with FFFg.

But notice they list four items on their Pyrodex loose powder page (the pellets are on another page): RS,P,FF,& FFF. And four separate order item numbers, and notice the prices for FF is different from RS, same thing with FFF & P.

In other words I know what I would get if I ordered Pyrodex P, but am wondering what would happen if I paid the other price and ordered what they list here as FFFg. I am guessing what would arrive would be real black powder FFFg. Also I think maybe what they are doing here is that they do not want to list their real black powder as such, and so they 'hide' it under the Pyrodex listing in the online catalog.

one thing I do know for a fact: A couple years ago Bass Pro had real black powder in the their stores.

If it wasn't for the haz mat fees, I would try ordering the item they list as FFF and see what comes. But that is a lot to pay if it turns out to be just Pyrodex.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you live near one, have you considered a road trip or calling the "Gun Counter" to ask.

Seems simple, let your fingers do the walking.

Bass Pro customer service told me that nearly all of their stores stock Goex black powder. It may need to be asked for from someone in the gun department who knows about where it's kept. Many folks around the country have verified that they have been able to buy at it their local Bass Pro store, which is especially convenient if they can't find anyone else in their area who stocks it.

It really doesn't matter if no one at the gun counter knows where it is or how to get it. The end result is the same.
But I really feel (99.9%) my local Bass Pro does NOT have real black powder.

I live in NW Indiana and the bass pro in Portage IN does sell it(Goex black powder,ff and fff)You have to ask for it at the hand gun counter and if the same guys are working there that were there the day I was there you'll have to ask 3 diff and educate 2 about the diff between Pyrodex and Black Powder.The one guy had to check as supply is limited and it was $30 a lb for either ff or fff

I bought a 1-pound can of GOEX FFg at the Bass Pro Shop in Charlotte, NC when I was down there for a golf tournament last month and my wife noticed a sign for it in the store. Didn't see a sign for any at the Bass Pro Shop north of Richmond, VA, but I didn't ask.

The store nearest me used to sell GOEX. It may have been a couple bucks more than I could get it at rendezvous. They didn't keep it out front. I had to ask the guy at the counter to get it out of the back.

They quit handling it about a year ago. Dunno why. :(

I just bought some goex ffg at bass pro and it was $24.99 for 1 lb can. u have to go to gun counter and ask for it.I believe that they have to store it in a secure place due to insurance reasons.

The Basspros here doesn't sell it or at least they didn't last time I asked. I wish they did. We had another shop that sold it but they did away with all their BP stuff and they had more than anyone in town at the time. We have Sportsmans warehouse back and as big as they are you would think they would sell it. I got with another guy here and we had some shipped for several people.

I picked up some in San Antonio . It's kept in the back in a powder safe. It took a while to find someone that knew what it is. I was also told there is a bunch in the safe. 24.99 a pound. Ouch . Think ill get a case of kik.

The higher price seems to be Triple 7.
Black powder can be had if you ask for it.
I've called their number a few times and talked to someone outside of the department once... You can't get through it seems.

When things calm down a bit it might be time to get some buddies together and buy a mixed case. Graf and Sons has some very good sales from time to time. Good Luck! Geo. T.

In 2011, I bought real black powder at the Basspro on the outskirts of Atlanta. The name of the suburb was Decateur, or Deluth, or De-something. Anyway, it's the only one around Atlanta. Might not answer your question, but it may help out someone else. Bill

Back