• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Builder Sitting Fox?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkeye

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information, good, bad or ugly about Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders. They have a couple nice looking small gauge fowlers I may be interested in, I've never heard of them and am looking for feedback. PM is fine if you would rather not make a public posting.

My first build was his Colonial Fowler. I figured the stock would be plain, but it came in a grade 4 curly maple.

Ray doesnt offer any fancy steel parts if that's where your leaning. However the kit went together easier than a Lancaster kit I did from TOTW.

I did replace the wood screw for the tang with one that went to the trigger plate.

Kit arrived 3 weeks from order.

There's a number of people here that have done Sitting Fox kits. You'll get more responses.

Overall, I'd buy from him again.

Thanks Don, this is the sort of information I'm looking for. I had never heard of them, I am famaliar with TOTW, Pecatonica, Chambers and a couple others and just want to not make a bad decision.

I've got a kit on order with Ray. Great guy on the phone. But he has not answered an e-mail from me for 8 days now. May not be an issue, but it does kind of bother me. I know he winters in Florida and may be headed back to Michigan now.
It's been roughly 6 weeks since I placed my order.

Model19,
I'm just down the road in Carmel. I'd like to see your kit when it comes in, if you don't mind. I've been thinking about trying one, but I'm not sure about the amount of skill needed.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hawkeye, I ordered a gun from Sitting Fox two summers back now. I got a gun with the stock roughed out for the barrel and the sights already on the barrel. This was my first build and I’m proud to say that when I walk in the woods pieces don’t fall off. I am very happy with my gun. I felt the price was fair. I had a small financial setback at the time I ordered and he worked with me by ordering in the parts to his place until I could get him the cash. He has a mini tutorial on his website that along with the one by Mike Brooks can help you with the build. When I sent Ray the cash I got my kit in no time at all. I can’t say he is the most social person when it comes to email but I can’t fault a fella for not being a chatterbox. I would order from him again.

(I also replaced the wood screw with bolt to the trigger on mine!)

Larry

model 19 i had the same exp with him. i had to wait almost 8 weeks for my order.and felt that he needs to let the custamer know whats going on a little better.but the kit i got is of good quality
and you cant beet the price. on my kit thay said to wood screw the barrel tang and only use one lock bolt with a fake in the front but that seems kinda chinzy . you can sneek a lock bolt in the front and screw the tang through to the trigger plate like normal :thumbsup:

Ray hits all the events in the spring and tries to get all his buying done then. He comes up with specials based on what he finds while out.

A lot of us aren't glued to the pc. So email is defenitely slower than an old fashioned phone call.

I'm not really worried about the deal going bad. I understand how cottage businesses work, and also that some people are not internet/on-line 24-7 either. I sure fall into that camp.
I'll call him maybe next week just to touch base. I've willed myself to be patient stress free on this project!
Kevin, I'll try and remember to let you know when I get the stuff.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing it. Also, let me know sometime if you want to go shooting, I belong to the Penobscot Longrifles club and have a range key. It's only 10 minutes from Carmel and I usually go once a week at a minimum.

Wow, never heard of that club. I belong to Hampden Rifle and Pistol club. You guys have a website?

Back