• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buckhorn sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my austin Halleck to the range today, problem is I ahve never use buckhorn sights. And I find that I ahve to cram my face into the stock to line the sight in the notch...is this normal for a buckhorn sight? Because its certainly not comfortable...especialy when I pull t he trigger and I get slapped in the cheek :nono: Was thinking of just using it as a large apurature peep sight of sorts.... whats your experiences/ advice? all of my shooting is under 100yds so i think it should still be accurate enough.

That experience is not the fault of the sight. It is a combination of your stature, hold, rifle style and, perhaps, sight placement.
Try other style rifles to see if they fit you. You might be in the market for a new rifle.

Sounds like you need taller front and rear sights to go with your build. I have much the same experience with an A/H rifle, and that's what I'd do if I owned it. I'm tall with lotsa cheek bone and long arms, so high combs and short LOP's often aren't happy.

That should not happen. It sounds to me as if you don't have a good fit with your rifle. The simple answer is to change the sights to taller ones. If you do, you will need to change both front and rear sights. However much you raise your rear sight, you will have to raise your front sight the same amount.

You can probably find what you need here: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=sights

Or here: https://www.dixiegunworks.com/adva...words=sight&osCsid=tipr7rej2k4poe7gqu302qmsq3

Or maybe here: http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs2cart/agora.cgi

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading the comments (much appreciated) I thought about the fit of the rifle. LOP is perfect for me, and the stock is very similar in shape to my gpr (which I have no issues with)so I went to my parts box and dug out a partidge style sight that came with my GPR. put that on and went to the range. After 5 shots i can say that I have no issues whatso ever. the only thing i can think of is the notch for the rear sight( buckhorn) is very very low in the sight base and just doesnt work for me.. so I guess ill just use the partridge style base instead. C'est La Vie!

Sounds like you are a person of large stature. Could part of it be the bench you used at the range? If the bench is small for you it could also contribute to it because you would have to slump over more.

Lotta people don't cotton to buckhorns -- they look odd to people and bother them. Maybe it's a "field of view" thing -- I dunno. I think they help encircle the target quickly myself but do take getting some used to. Better for longer range methinks.

But the notch itself is the notch -- why would the rest of the aperature affect you once you've acquired your target!?

im not really large 5"10 , 230lb... i like to call myseklf fluffy lol. I really just think that the notch is cut realy low on the sight it literaly has the sight base and a sliver of metal to put t he notch in. Im thining of just trying to use it like an aperature sight and see how it does.

What is your drop at the comb from the sight line?

To measure it on your own body you can use a pair of calipers and go between where your cheek bone is, and the middle of the corner of your eye. Or, find a place on the stock that lets you see the sights clearly, and mark the spot where your cheek bone rests comfortably. It will be a zone between the front and back, Now take a straight edge between the front and rear sights, and extend that back through the butt. Measure that drop at the comb. that's the drop you need.

Now, shoulder the rifle and wee where your cheek feels most comfortably placed on the stock in the position you expect to shoot the gun the most (for most that's standing position, or offhand). Pay NO attention to whether you can see the sights or not, just shouldering comfort. Mark that spot on the stock the same way that you measured the proper drop to see the sights. Those 2 sets of numbers will tell you what drop you need, and most importantly, WHERE you need that drop to be.

Then there's the length of pull. It varies depending on grip and wrist style. The more vertical the trigger hand grip, the shorter the LOP. Not a lot, but between 1/8" and 1/4" depending on your hand size and musculature. Make yourself a "try gun" out of plywood with a grip similar to the style you're going to use, and shouldered in the location it will be shot from, with the type of clothing you expect to wear. Use a nail or something to represent the trigger. Keep adjusting the length (shorter or longer until you feel comfortable with your hand position for your LOP. Now you have the 3 important elements you need for your build. Odds are pretty good that the factory stuff and pre-carves are pretty close, but they will not be perfect.

The last number you need is that for your cast-off, That's the distance from your cheek weld and cheek bone to the center of your eye socket. Fat faces need more cast-off than skinny faces. For most people it's between 1/16" and 1/4" at the location of the cheek weld, again based upon facial structure. Now you know exactly where to have the cast-off located. Comb shape has an influence too. A flat comb will fit differently than a rounded one.

Now go do your build.

Modern guns have a relatively horizontal (and sometimes flat) comb so that variations in placement of the cheek weld don't matter that much. If you crawl forward on the stock, or sit back, the drop at the comb is about the same. With traditional ML'ers the comb isn't parallel to the sights (it slants), so most people wind up having to "make due" with a build that does not entirely fit them, and their scores suffer as a result. You shoot the best when you see the best, and are most comfortable in position, which means you aren't straining.

Sorry for the rant, but a proper fitting rifle is important as a proper fitting pair of shoes.

Just a follow up to the above. The position you expect to be shooting from influences stock design and measurements too. (So does expected recoil, but I am ignoring that for these purposes.) For most, a prone stock will have a shorter drop at the comb and a longer LOP than an offhand stock. If the stock has a butt hook (for offhand particularly) that means you will not need to use the force of mashing your face in to the comb to help hold the rifle down (if it is quite muzzle heavy), which means you can use a slightly larger drop at the comb.

I suspect the only people that really get a perfectly fitting rifle are the competition shooters that have those infinitely adjustable stocks that they can move around the teeniest bit and adjust based on moon phases, and when and what they had for lunch that day. Or, those that are just plain lucky, as, everyone's body is somewhat unique. Take a look at those ISSF 50 meter smallbore targets if you think you can just "luck" in to a proper fit and NPOA!

I shoot a buckhorn on two different Pedersoli's and use it like a ghost ring peep. Its accurate enough that I win a shoot now and again and don't have any trouble killing deer. And, its quick and great in low light.

Back