• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED WTB Better Sights for my TC Renegade Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ltdshooter

32 Cal
Reaction score
All,
My eyes are struggling to see the factory Renegade sights in the woods / lower light. I don't want to drop the period correctness of the barrel mounted rear sight. Tried the TC Peep and while it worked for vision it did not work for the cheek weld / shoulder mount as it was too low. Is there anything out there that is better than the V rear and the post/dot front? I'm thinking that a blade front and a square notch rear that can be opened up would be a lot better. Please let me know if there is something out there!
Ltd...

i have the old style blade/ notch on mine, like it better but not as fine a bead. i have a set of williams fire sights for it if interested. not p/c but hitting what you aim at is more important.

i have the old style blade/ notch on mine, like it better but not as fine a bead. i have a set of williams fire sights for it if interested. not p/c but hitting what you aim at is more important.
I'll take a look at the fire sights. I just cannot resolve the Bead FS with the Deep V RS.

I prefer a wide flat blade for the front sight with a wide square notch in a flat top rear sight, like the early Renegade sights. With plenty of clearance on each side of the blade when looking through the rear sight. A green firesight on the front paired with a larger peep or ghost sight could work, but front and rear firesights just don’t work for me in bright sunlight, particularly with snow on the ground and tree branches. Kind of like looking at oncoming high beams, at least in my opinion.

I have Williams Fires sights on my TC. I still cant see the front dot settle between the two dots on the rear. I have to start front high and slowly tip the butt stock upward until it lines up, or until I think its lined up. 50 yards is plenty now. 100 yards used to be a breeze. That being said, for my eyes they are still better than factory sights.

Last edited:
Like "wide flat blade for the front sight with a wide square notch in a flat top rear sight, like the early Renegade sights"! I'm going to look for a set of those!

Move your rear sight forward a few inches. If shooting at paper use clear safety glasses. That helps me see the sight picture better.
Target is blurred but it doesn't matter to me.

Move your rear sight forward a few inches. If shooting at paper use clear safety glasses. That helps me see the sight picture better.
Target is blurred but it doesn't matter to me.

On a Renegade with its 26 inch barrel you'd be cutting into an already pretty short sighting radius.

You are correct about the shorter sight radius, but if given the option of a short sight radius one could actually see vs a long sight radius that one could not focus on or see, you would choose the…..?

A tang peep sight.

If remaining PC is important please remember that we, present-day shooters, did not invent the vision problems the come with advanced age. Peep sights were used back in the day, not the beautiful creations of Williams or Lyman of course, but functional nonetheless. A primitive but useful peep is easily made and affixed to most guns with a little time and imagination.

Attachments

• 48712-9e36c952e4aa8a40ca0c5a7b1567367c.jpg
    48712-9e36c952e4aa8a40ca0c5a7b1567367c.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 48713-aeb4a6b2944251b225ffa5b16930ff37.jpg
    48713-aeb4a6b2944251b225ffa5b16930ff37.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
I use the Thompson Center Contender rear sight blade on my Renegade. It is taller and gives me a more comfortable cheek weld. I use a taller machined blade from the Log Cabin Shop to match the taller rear.

LB

All,
My eyes are struggling to see the factory Renegade sights in the woods / lower light. I don't want to drop the period correctness of the barrel mounted rear sight. Tried the TC Peep and while it worked for vision it did not work for the cheek weld / shoulder mount as it was too low. Is there anything out there that is better than the V rear and the post/dot front? I'm thinking that a blade front and a square notch rear that can be opened up would be a lot better. Please let me know if there is something out there!
Ltd...
Williams sights we’ll have just what you need .

All,
Ltd...
Try another peep sight, but first be sure that it addresses what you need. I hadn't shot a peep sight since I was a teenager (60years ago) with the DCM's target .22s, but I put one on my flintlock this fall and it solved all my sight issues.

Latest posts

Back