• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Artistic French Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder how that gun would do out in the boon docks chasing deer. Also wondering if a guy could get one in kit form. :rotf:

Pure art to demonstrate the abilities of the builder/artist. I would guess it was never fired.
He was in Paris. The figure on the buttplate looks like an American injun. Interesting. BTW, I wonder, did Europe ever have 'injuns' or equivalent?

I bet if you fired it with a heavy load you'd have an Indian shaped bruise on your shoulder for awhile. :wink:

Don

I appreciate the work and ability involved, but . . . yuck. That just does not appeal to me.

PS - the French spent more time with the Native Americans than the British did. We killed them and drove them West. The French traded and interacted with them. "Frech & Indian War" they were partners fighting the British Colonies. French Voyageurs opened the West long before colonists could cross Fat George's line. Lewis And Clark were srveying what the U.S. purchased from France.

Rifleman1776 said:
Pure art to demonstrate the abilities of the builder/artist. I would guess it was never fired.
He was in Paris. The figure on the buttplate looks like an American injun. Interesting. BTW, I wonder, did Europe ever have 'injuns' or equivalent?

injuns? really? :shake: not a nice thing to call native Americans this forum demands respect for all other cultures and races how does the n/a still qualify for the insults?

trucker said:
Rifleman1776 said:

injuns? really? :shake: not a nice thing to call native Americans this forum demands respect for all other cultures and races how does the n/a still qualify for the insults?

Sorry you see it that way. Humor is not for everyone. Besides, if you want to play with words, everyone born in America is a "native American".

Edit: sorry we went :eek:ff

The caption states it is a stylized rendition of a Native American. The gun was probably never used and meant as display only hence it resides in the Metropolitan. More interesting to me are the dragon hammer and carvings. Too bad there are not more photos of the furniture. It looks just as elaborate.

The British did have the Iroquois confederation fighting for them during the F&I War, while the French had mostly Canadian tribes and some Iroquois that had resettled near either Montreal or Quebec; not sure which. They were referred to as the 'praying Indians" as they were converts of the French missionary priests. I don't think the Brits could have won the "Seven Years War" in North America without the Iroquois.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Well, I for one appreciate the artistry, and wish that I had one-tenth the talent. I personally would like to build guns like that, I guess I better get to work!! :bow: :surrender: :rotf:

Wow!! Fancy!! I just discovered that after clicking to get to the large image, scrolling your mouse's wheel will zoom for an examination of the detail.

If you like fancy try googling some wheellocks with their elaborate detailed inlays etc. interesting to me is the figures in period dress and hunting scenes and the mythical creatures and interpretations of famous works of art especially involving mythology. It is astonishing the stories these guns tell. The workmanship is incredible on some of them!

The difference is, the relief work, inlays, etc., seem to work on most wheellocks. This gun just seems like the equivalent of putting Corinthian columns and pink marble on a double-wide. Nothing wrong with a double-wide, per se, but it doesn't look right gussied up like the Taj Mahal.

the art work is incredible but definitely not for me. if i had something like that i would probably sell it... i like simple useable pieces.

Current issue of Field and Stream shows some over the top engraved modern guns. Many African double rifles.
Pretty is nice but there are limits. At least for my small budget tastes. :wink:

Back