• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are flintlocks reliable?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, as long as you do your part and mother nature does hers. Of course History proves our point, as the flintlock is the longest reining
ignition system, over 200years!

Having shot percussion for several years and then switching to flint,I agree with most here..done correctly,igniton is as good or better with a flintlock

Cap guns.... well... they're for kids. Little boys play with cap guns.

Flintlocks, now there's a man's gun right there. :thumbsup:

Flint be sharp to make good spark, no damp be in the pan

pick the vent it must be clear to do the job at hand.

plug the vent with feathered quill when storing for the night

do your part so carefully and it will serve you right.

A little poem I wrote some years ago to remind me to do my part.

I went on an elk hunt in Montana back in 1972. I carried a .54 percussion back then. I was pretty green in those days and didn't know not to bring my loaded rifle inside at night. Going from cold to warm caused condensation and the next day my rifle wouldn't fire until I removed the nipple and put a little powder under it.Before I figured out what I was doing wrong I missed the chance to take an elk when my gun went POP instead of BOOM!

Fast forward to 1979 on a Ontario moose hunt with a .62 flintlock. It rained a lot on that hunt but by sticking to the words in my little poem my flinter came through for me and I took a nice bull moose.

Percussion guns are alright but I have more confidence in my flint locks

I have to say even though I hunt exclusively with Flintlocks now, I started off with purcussion and never had one fail to fire either. I learned very quickly at the range when people were popping caps and wondering why their guns didn't go off, most were pryo users, I took off my nipple and noticed no powder underneath the nipple. :hmm: flame from a cap needs to go straight down and then an almost left turn...can't be good in bad weather....so from day one being a black powder user, I got a primer full of 3F and always took the time to take my nipple off after loading and filling the channel with powder. So even a weak cap would still fire it.

Many many nights I sat there hearing friends "pop" and sad storys afterwards. I watched many times guys come out and pop several caps before getting their gun to go off or give up and pull the charge at home because the didn't listen to me. At the same time I would piss them off by aiming at a stump and "BOOM"! Very simple and only takes 2 minutes to do to ensure a purcussion gun go off everytime. But I don't have to worry about that anymore, all I worry about now is living by NWTF's poem. :thumbsup: :v

Yes, with some qualifications. I too see more people having problems with cap guns than with flint but I think that is because many casual, occasional shooters own percussion guns where as most flint shooters are more serious about their sport and more knowledgeable and experienced.
Also the gun itself is a factor. A cheap percussion lock may bust a cap as well as the best lock ever made. A cheap flintlock, on the other hand, can be a source of unending frustration. That is likely another reason we see more people having trouble with cap guns, they often are cheap factory built guns whereas flintlocksers often shoot more high dollar guns.
Then there is weather.
Assuming flint and percussion guns equally well tended, then in rain and snow a percussion is more reliable, especially after the first shot. Even strong, gusty wind can cause a flint to misfire and can make re-priming very difficult.
We here are a dedicated flintlock crowd but we should not pretend there are not good reasons why percussion guns replaced the flintlock about as soon as caps became widely available. There are many, many surviving muzzleloaders which have been converted from flint to percussion and I'm sure the owners did not go to that bother and expense for no good reason.
My own reason for shooting percussion after many years of flintlocking is that my hold has gotten so shaky I just can't maintain a solid follow through and I shoot better with percussion.
That doesn't mean I don't still enjoy my flint guns but when I get serious it is with percussion.

I own and shoot both percussion and flint; both have their place. For some time, now, I've hunted and shot targets exclusively with flint locks. Never had a reliability issue with either; but I confess I've never hunted with either in a serious downpour. As long as you know what you're doing and properly care for your piece, a flintlock will be as reliable an arm as you will ever need.

Back