• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mass produced flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Traditions Deerhunter that seldom fails to go bang.
Go figger.

better view.jpg

With a flint lock (the lock alone) the quality of same is in direct proportion to the cost of the lock.

Are the the older lyman flintlocks reliable? Or is it a hit or miss scenario? I was watching a blackpowder channel on you tube and the guy on there was saying that if you wanted flintlock, you needed to go the custom route to get reliability. Is this the norm?
Go to the Track of the Wolf, or L & R Locks websites and see which factory guns they have quality replacement locks for, and pick your factory gun accordingly.
That way if the mass-produced imported flint lock is a dud, you can upgrade easily with an L & R lock.
I think the nomenclature/part numbers for the replacement locks begin with the capitalized “ RPL “ letters.

If you're going to go the Lyman route pick up an Investarm made one or find an Investarm dealer and buy one, they still sell the rifles they made for Lyman under their own models. I have a Pedersoli made GPR flint and hate the lock on the thing. I also haven't been able to find an aftermarket replacement for it so it just sits in the safe.
My experience with the Lyman/Pedersoli has been the opposite. The first outing showed poor ignition. I replaced the flash hole liner with one comes on the I side and I comes it on the outside just a tad, then opened the hole to 1/16th. Now ignition is plenty fast and p!entry reliable if I keep the hole clean. A correct size flint is also a must.

Probably more issues arise from the users of flint locks than do from the makers of same. Shaping the flints. Mounting them in the hammers. If it don't spark it won't bark. No matter who made it.

Another option is a TC flint hawken. The shoot about as reliably as any.
I had an early one, with the gooseneck cock, it was a miserable piece of junk. I have read the later ones with the ugly cock were better. TC has been out of production for decades. Some people see them at collectable. Rifles in good condition are expensive for what you get.

I have several Kibler rifles. All of the locks are excellent. Works of art really, compared to the mass market cast parts locks. On my SMRs the flints last until they are worn down to the nub. I sharpen them in the lock every 50 shots or so.

In terms of overall quality, the Lymans are pretty good. I had a Plains (not the Great Plains) that was as old as I was (cap and ball, though) and it was a tack driver, pretty to look at and reliable.

I know a good number of folks here that swear by the GPR. However, that being said, mass produced flintlock locks can be hit or miss. Some of those same folks who swore by the GPR in cap and ball, didn't have the same positive feelings about the flinter version due to spark issues. If you get a good one, they are great, but if not.... caveat emptor, I guess.

Back