• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another in the bag.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feltwad said:
I have nothing to hide or prove you have your method and I have mine :shake:
Feltwad

So why not allow him his method without your nose-in-the-air, holier-than-though criticism. Your driven birds are the sport of the elite. T'aint many of us here to keep you company in your downward view.

BrownBear said:
Feltwad said:
Feltwad

So why not allow him his method without your nose-in-the-air, holier-than-though criticism. Your driven birds are the sport of the elite. T'aint many of us here to keep you company in your downward view.
Nose in the air.sport for the Elite What a load of rubbish I am just a retired working class chap like many others .
Feltwad
Feltwad

you guys need to give it a break.

Personal preference for both sides. Neither is wrong or more right.

I have shot hundreds of pheasants and have never shot a sitting pheasant. I have also never shot a pen raised pheasant and no desire to. Just my choice.

Now if I was hunting pen raised birds, I can see why they would be shot on the ground. Hunt truly wild birds and you wont have much of a chance to shoot one on the ground.

I have hunted pen raised quail once and simply hated it and felt ashamed after it was done.

To each his own.

Lets have a pint and move on to the next issue.

Fleener

Feltwad said:
BrownBear said:
Feltwad said:
Feltwad

Nose in the air.sport for the Elite What a load of rubbish I am just a retired working class chap like many others .
Feltwad
Feltwad

That isn't how you're initial reply comes across.

Fleener, maybe some that take exception to feltwads comment weren't around during the heyday of the ringneck pheasant and don't realize that the common method of hunting pheasants in those days was wing shooting and shooting them on the ground was frowned on. Those that hunted them in those days may still feel that way. :idunno:

Case in point, Cap popper is a young guy that doesn't understand why you would shoot a bird flying if you had a chance to shoot it on the ground. Maybe he doesn't realize that they used "Bird dogs" pointers and setters that would chase down any wounded birds and retrieve them back to the hunter... He say's

Sporting in my opinion is having the respect to do everything in ones ability to cleanly take whatever game in question.... Why would you want it to be flying if you didn't have to you're far more likely to wound a moving bird... Ill shoot them flying but if they are sitting first you had to get in range without jumping them and secondly your best chance for a clean kill is while they are sitting still.... Its called respecting the animal... Now I understand its not always legal to shoot them sitting (waterfowl in the states) otherwise there are a load of good reasons to try to get them sitting and 0 reasons to want them to be moving...

KosmoVizslaRetrievingPheasant_sml2117.jpg

NWTF Longhunter said:
Fleener, maybe some that take exception to feltwads comment weren't around during the heyday of the ringneck pheasant and don't realize that the common method of hunting pheasants in those days was wing shooting and shooting them on the ground was frowned on. Those that hunted them in those days may still feel that way. :idunno:

Sure, no problem. Just don't go around calling down shame on someone as Feltwad did.

B :thumbsup:

Here in Southwest PA 60 years ago pheasants were almost as thick as in South Dakota. Herbicides and pesticides destroyed their food and habitat.

I've knocked them out of the air many times...and had some run into groundhog holes, or bury themselves in the underbrush to be lost - and more than once I have spent an hour crawling on my hands and knees looking for a downed bird, and nothing to show but thorns in my knees.

I've taken the head off a bird or two that sat still, eyes closed, hoping I would walk on by, and I took one's head off ( and all his neck feathers too) that flushed too close to me -
wasn't a pellet in his body.

And I envy fleener, who never has had to hunt a pen raised bird. But, like I said, I'm not going to lose a bird trying to convince him to give me a flying shot. My choices are: take them as I find them...stay home...or go hiking with my Wife.

Richard/Grumpa

:eek:ff Only pheasant i ever shot ws a game farm deal. And a few quail. I wouldnt eat em, they acted drugged? Gave em to the guy that invited me. They would just sit there! A few the guys dog "retrieved" alive and unharmed? He would throw em in the air and they would, of course, "fly" on the way down and get blasted. NOT FOR ME :td:

I would shoot a wild one on the ground as I would be there to get dinner. Wild one should know not to sit there, "survival of the fittest, cull the dumb genes?

Game farm birds are raised in pens and are no wilder than barn yard chickens.

When I was a youngster on the farm in the mid 40's pheasants would sit tight and were flushed by the dogs. When you hunted with a good bird dog you could tell when one was about to flush because the dog would get "birdy/excited" and a good pointer would freeze on point with the sitting bird only feet away from it's nose. Then you would step in and flush the bird from cover.

As years past pheasants evolved from sitters into runners and you had to run behind the dog to catch up with the bird as they ran through the grass before flushing. In those days pheasant hunting without a dog was not very productive. :shake:

sight-point-290x195.jpg

Long Hunter did you ever hunt Chukar? My 1st time I was maybe 17, when Chukar run they make pheasant running look like slow motion. I think hitting chukar in the air is easier then on the ground & running.

I remember the 1st time they ran across the road 50 yards ahead of the truck, I jumped out with my cousin and ran into the knee high brush trying to "get a bead on them" 30 yards off the road 10 flushed at my feet, liked to give me a heartattack.

I hit one, the rest landed less then 50 yards away, I grabbed the downed bird and ran after the group, I made it about 20 feet when a 2nd group of six, again busted at my feet. I tried to stop from a full run & crashed on my butt. As I looked back I see my cousin hadn't made it 20 feet off the road, he is just :rotf: at me so hard he can't move. :)

I never have hunted them with BP :( I see them now and again rabbit hunting, but by then they are out of season I think. Brit's little :confused: .45 cal? smooth bore would be a hoot to hunt chukar with. A set of 17 year old legs would help as well :grin:

In well aware they did and do but that only reinforces the elitist thing.... I don't have time or money to buy raise and train a bird dog and I've only ever met one guy who did and as he owned a trucking company had both time and money for such things... Bird dogs are for people with far more time and money than I have I also grouse hunt a lot and would never let a single one in the air if I could avoid it... I hunt only for food sure its fun but being "sporting" to me means the bird or any game animal is dispatched quickly the dog is for insurance personally I don't take shots im not fairly sure of it has absolutely nothing to do with my age I feel responsibility for the quickest cleanest kill possible plus it make a better meat than a bird that was chased down and killed by a dog.... Ive seen competitions where they don't even carry a gun and the dog does everything... Doesn't sound fun to me

Opening day 2016.
Wing shot. .45" smooth rifle.

Unfortunately the bird did not come down and showed little sign of being struck.
It flew 200 yds to some cover, it was only as it made cover it seemed to land messy. Many would not of noticed!
Jess found it for me and her not being with me long back then backed off to which i took the opportunity to dispatch the bird.

So as many have said 'sporting' shots can and do go wrong.
Oh and it was a real pain trudging through thick wet clay mud on that rainy day!!

B.

CapPopper, I'm not criticizing you or suggesting that you get a bird dog, I used you as an example because of your younger age.... I'll trade age's with you any day :haha:

I was only trying to point out how bird hunting in the old days may be different then it is today and how those that hunted back then might look at it differently than some do today. :v

Brit, that .45 smooth rifle is a neat gun and makes it challenging for sure. I've got a .54 smooth rifle that I use to hunt rabbits and squirrels, I love it for that.

Oh I agree with them looking at it differently... I believe dan Wesson (could be wrong it was one of those guys) went out with a 357 mag and killed an elk at 200 yards.... Sure it worked but id rather shoot 50... I believe he shot that animal 2 or 3 times.. So one change has been the feeling of responsibility for clean kills... I wouldnt pass any shot on a flying bird I though I had a reasonable chance of making all im saying is id rather they were stationary in front of me. I also know hunting traditions in britian are different and in almost all cases older than here in the states. Also since I don't want to chase animals down or shoot them again I am picky. To each his own though and if you have a dog use it if I knew someone with a dog I would take advantage of it. But I've never seen a bird drive in the states that wasn't organized by a dnr personally. At least not like the brits do it.

NWTF Longhunter said:
CapPopper, I'm not criticizing you or suggesting that you get a bird dog, I used you as an example because of your younger age.... I'll trade age's with you any day :haha:

I was only trying to point out how bird hunting in the old days may be different then it is today and how those that hunted back then might look at it differently than some do today. :v

Brit, that .45 smooth rifle is a neat gun and makes it challenging for sure. I've got a .54 smooth rifle that I use to hunt rabbits and squirrels, I love it for that.
Point shooting over dogs is one of the oldest type of wing game shooting in the Uk ,it was prior to driven game shooting . I have shot point shooting over dogs which were pointers , English setters and most recently the German Short haired Pointer.This type of shooting is the easiest what a lot of shooters do wrong, the dog setts a bird you know it is there and they take the bird to quick instead of letting the bird get out to 35 yards when the pattern is at its best.For me point shooting over pointers is best when shooting red grouse , woodcock or snipe.
Feltwad

Yeah my dad usually gets grouse on The second shot cause the first shot is inside 20 yards... He's a point shooter and pulls the trigger the second he's on them. A pointing dog is nice I know I walk a lot and don't see birds often... I have better luck with rabbits but all a rabbit dog has to do is chase them they circle around on their own.

CapPopper said:
Yeah my dad usually gets grouse on The second shot cause the first shot is inside 20 yards... He's a point shooter and pulls the trigger the second he's on them. A pointing dog is nice I know I walk a lot and don't see birds often... I have better luck with rabbits but all a rabbit dog has to do is chase them they circle around on their own.
Enclosed are a couple of images of a well managed red grouse moor here in the Uk .The uk is the only place where you will find red grouse. This type of moor is good for shooting over pointers which you rarely see today has driving is the main type of shooting.
Feltwad
A UK grouse moor

Old heather for winter cover

Latest posts

Back