• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I used 3f today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I fired six shots and got five head of game.
Using a 12g I just loaded an ounce of mixed shot, shot I salvaged from old rotten cartridges someone gave me.
My usual method of thin cards and a blob of lube between them.
Using just 50gn of SNIA black silver from Italy the gun was going off like a fire cracker.
The ground is soaked, floods and running water everywhere after days of heavy rain. It was still raining when I went out but I'd had enough of looking out of the window!
The first bird was a runner but Jess soon had it pinned down.
Not a glorious photo, everything got wet during its containment!
IMG_20240103_141415.jpg

Next I flushed a woodcock, I wanted one to go with one already at home. Now I can make a little meatloaf.
IMG_20240103_142313.jpg

Then a little later after covering some ground Jess found some hen pheasants that made excellent birds but I'm not shooting them, they lay eggs!
I shot at a squirrel but it got away completely unscathed!
I worked some thick cover and a pheasant had let me walk past it but Jess got wind of it and pushed it up behind me.
Now it was only a 25yard shot but I had to swivel around and it was a big powerful bird doings it's best to resemble a ground to air missile!
The gun sounded like a fire cracker and the bird was dead in the air and promptly fell in a blackthorn thicket!
IMG_20240103_161311.jpg

Jess got a downed squirrel that was still very much alive and silly soft mouthed Jess got bitten again!
IMG_20240103_155213.jpg

She loves squirrel hunting.

I fired six shots and got five head of game.
Using a 12g I just loaded an ounce of mixed shot, shot I salvaged from old rotten cartridges someone gave me.
My usual method of thin cards and a blob of lube between them.
Using just 50gn of SNIA black silver from Italy the gun was going off like a fire cracker.
The ground is soaked, floods and running water everywhere after days of heavy rain. It was still raining when I went out but I'd had enough of looking out of the window!
The first bird was a runner but Jess soon had it pinned down.
Not a glorious photo, everything got wet during its containment!
View attachment 281874
Next I flushed a woodcock, I wanted one to go with one already at home. Now I can make a little meatloaf.
View attachment 281875
Then a little later after covering some ground Jess found some hen pheasants that made excellent birds but I'm not shooting them, they lay eggs!
I shot at a squirrel but it got away completely unscathed!
I worked some thick cover and a pheasant had let me walk past it but Jess got wind of it and pushed it up behind me.
Now it was only a 25yard shot but I had to swivel around and it was a big powerful bird doings it's best to resemble a ground to air missile!
The gun sounded like a fire cracker and the bird was dead in the air and promptly fell in a blackthorn thicket!
View attachment 281876
Jess got a downed squirrel that was still very much alive and silly soft mouthed Jess got bitten again!
View attachment 281878
She loves squirrel hunting.
View attachment 281883
I'm missing a few birds. Anybody seen my birds?

Very nice Brit......
I'm a little surprised at your choice of such rough powder (sarcastic? Me? Never) but maybe it was a better choice given the humidity... 😉
As surprising as that choice might be,,,, I'll be more surprised if you ever post a hunt and it looks like the sun is shining.... ya know that glowing orb that occasionally climbs into the sky to try to warm and dry things...

The great 3F debate finally dies here with evidence of downed game...

Great outing you and the dog experienced!!! Some questions for you Britsmoothy... What breed of dog is that? Is that a two piece stock on your double barrel?, and how much and what size shot did you use? Thanks! Joel

The great 3F debate finally dies here with evidence of downed game...

Great outing you and the dog experienced!!! Some questions for you Britsmoothy... What breed of dog is that? Is that a two piece stock on your double barrel?, and how much and what size shot did you use? Thanks! Joel
Jess is a Bedlington Whippet or otherwise known as a bediwhippet.
Her mother was a whippet cross and the sire was a Bedlington terrier.
She has limitations as in I didn't have her from a pup! Sometimes a pain in the ass but sometimes remembers to work with me!

The shotgun has a three piece stock!

The shot was all sizes. My local gun store is a good friend of mine. If someone hands something in I get to pick over it. There was some old cartridges that had swollen so I took them and salvaged the shot. Looks to be #5,#6&#7.5 shot.

Congrats!!!do yo live in England?is hunting squirrels allowed?in Spain is not allowed
Yes sir, England. May God have pity on me....!

Grey squirrel are a pest. Shoot on sight.
The grey is non native and carries a pox that the native red squirrel has no immunity from.
They also destroy certain species of trees.
No limits and plenty to shoot.

I see you shoot a Beretta. I sold one years ago but the buyer did not get the manual and special wrench that should have gone with it.
I've been trying to find the buyer for years with no luck. If anyone needs these Beretta O/U accoutrements, PM me. I don't need em.
Good hunting BTW.
Moonshine

Latest posts

Back