• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another in the bag.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Britsmoothy said:
I guess there shall always be disgruntled miserable people about that like to console themselves with idylls and delusions of grandeur but as for me and many many others our conscience is clear :hatsoff:

Yup. Some folks just need to feel superior, and the only way they can do it is to criticize others. So sad to watch otherwise decent people act like fools.

Feltwad said:
Britsmoothy said:
Guys guys, thanks but not every bird I shoot is a wing shot!
Some I take like you guys take a turkey.
I am a pot hunter so take an opportunity when I can.
I may of done some home work first to find an 'opportunity' but it's not always a wing shot, in fact it's akin to how an archer may hunt!

B.
Shame on you sir I am not a pot hunter and there is no way I would take a sitting shot I would dog it up so it has a sporting chance.
Feltwad
No shame what ever IMHO. Sporting??????

The way I see it, neither way is superior to the other from the animal's point of view - dead is dead.

That said, I hunt to eat, so if the method of taking isn't prohibited, I'm not going to stand in the way of others. It doesn't necessarily mean I use the method myself, as I set my own rules within the limitations of the regulations. I do hunt in the spirit of fair chase, meeting my quarry in their territory. I have no objection to wing shooting or shooting a Grouse sitting on the ground or perched on a limb - they both taste the same...

In MT, baiting by the hunter is prohibited and even certain natural/artificial scents are not permitted, though people can take advantage natural or planted foods (Farmer's fields and the like but not food-plots). However, I'll admit a certain distaste for the idea of hunting "tame" deer around a feeder or hunting bears over a barrel of stale jelly doughnuts, candy and sugar/Maple syrup.

Shame on you sir I am not a pot hunter and there is no way I would take a sitting shot I would dog it up so it has a sporting chance.
Feltwad[/quote]

Would this be what is described as being "Cheeky" across the pond??? :idunno:

Thanks for sharing Nate. I'd go hunting with you anytime. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief

Congrats, Brits. :hatsoff:

I would shoot a pheasant or grouse off the ground in a heartbeat. I shoot turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, and deer off the ground. I don't charge them first and then take a running shot, so why would I do it with a pheasant or grouse, given a good standing shot on the ground? I figure hunting with a flintlock or bow and arrow is giving them enough chance.

Sporting in my opinion is having the respect to do everything in ones ability to cleanly take whatever game in question.... Why would you want it to be flying if you didn't have to you're far more likely to wound a moving bird... Ill shoot them flying but if they are sitting first you had to get in range without jumping them and secondly your best chance for a clean kill is while they are sitting still.... Its called respecting the animal... Now I understand its not always legal to shoot them sitting (waterfowl in the states) otherwise there are a load of good reasons to try to get them sitting and 0 reasons to want them to be moving...

Skychief said:
Feltwad

Would this be what is described as being "Cheeky" across the pond??? :idunno:

Thanks for sharing Nate. I'd go hunting with you anytime. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief[/quote]

Not sure friend, I calls it arrogance.

B :thumbsup:

So does a fellow that catches a fish just to release it become a snob? A fish goes threw a lot as its hauled in and having lived on the edge of a trout stream I have found to many dead fish after the catch and release sportsmen visited. I'll eat my catch and only take what I need.
Nice rooster by the way.

I hunt alone (not by choice), and without a dog (my choice). Pheasants, given the choice, will sit or run rather than fly. they're not stupid.

If I'm lucky enough to see one, in range, I shoot - I don't care if he's running, flying, or sitting on the toilet! I only get out a few days, and a good season for me is if I get a bird. Two or three, that's a memorable season.

Keep the stories and pictures coming, Brit. It brightens my spirit to know someone is out there, getting it done. :thumbsup:

Richard/Grumpa

:metoo: X3

Ya know, I hunt to eat. I, like said above, am giving my prey enough of a chance by toting a bow or muzzleloader and leaving the 7mm in the gun cabinet.

I have a buddy that is really whacked. He will NOT shoot any game animal smaller than he last got. He has a 8x8 elk on the wall. He says that makes him a better hunter than me. I said it makes him a non hunter.....season after season this "hunter" has no meat in the freezer. I tell him all the time a trophy elk is an elk in the freezer :idunno:

Now we are funning each other. I would love to harvest an 8x8 bull elk. It seems a stupid ol spike or rag horn ruins it every year :grin: That of course is when for some reason I have applied for a bull tag. I hunt cow 90% of the time.

What I would never do is belittle him for HIS preferred practice in the field. It sucks to see another member attack a man for feeding his family :td:

The method a hunter chooses to take game is up to them, as long as it's legal and I wouldn't criticize them for their choice.

When I was a boy on the farm 70 some years ago, Ringneck Pheasants were as thick as fleas on a hound. I remember hunting them with my dad using our little Cocker Spaniel dogs to flush them from the wheat stubble and hay fields.

In the recesses of my memory I can still hear the cackle of the roosters as they rose straight up in the air and I can see their long tail feathers waving as they leveled off to fly straight away...until the boom of my dads single barrel 12 gauge stopped them in a puff of feathers and sent them plummeting to the ground.

We had pheasants here in the farm country of lower Michigan until the 1960's and then they slowly disappeared and now are only a memory of days gone by.

I don't recall my dad or I ever shooting a pheasant on the ground, it was just too much fun watching them fly and the challenge of taking them on the wing was so satisfying. That was how it was then but it may be different for others now. :v

240_F_137811801_JawTHB6snFmISxjbIfTfuuVDMbdUIqkS.jpg

NWTF Longhunter said:
The method a hunter chooses to take game is up to them, as long as it's legal and I wouldn't criticize them for their choice.

When I was a boy on the farm 70 some years ago, Ringneck Pheasants were as thick as fleas on a hound. I remember hunting them with my dad using our little Cocker Spaniel dogs to flush them from the wheat stubble and hay fields.

In the recesses of my memory I can still hear the cackle of the roosters as they rose straight up in the air and I can see their long tail feathers waving as they leveled off to fly straight away...until the boom of my dads single barrel 12 gauge stopped them in a puff of feathers and sent them plummeting to the ground.

We had pheasants here in the farm country of lower Michigan until the 1960's and then they slowly disappeared and now are only a memory of days gone by.

I don't recall my dad or I ever shooting a pheasant on the ground, it was just too much fun watching them fly and the challenge of taking them on the wing was so satisfying. That was how it was then but it may be different for others now. :v

Well said
Feltwad

Feltwad said:
NWTF Longhunter said:

Well said
Feltwad

:surrender: I seem to have read some criticism somewhere above :idunno:

I have nothing to hide or prove you have your method and I have mine :shake:
Feltwad

Britsmoothy, I envy you that you have pheasants to hunt, how is the population of the birds over there? Hen pheasants were never allowed here except on game farms but they still disappeared.

They blamed it on lack of habitat but I always suspected it was when farmers started using pesticides on their crops. :hmm:

NWTF Longhunter said:
Britsmoothy, I envy you that you have pheasants to hunt, how is the population of the birds over there? Hen pheasants were never allowed here except on game farms but they still disappeared.

They blamed it on lack of habitat but I always suspected it was when farmers started using pesticides on their crops. :hmm:
Pesticides and predation everytime.
The chicks need insects, preferably without toxins!
Hawks and weasels do alot of damage but fox's and yotes with snaffle the young poults in a flash. Coons won't help either!

B.

Back