• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

500 Yards, Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP: That's some incredible shooting!

Have you done any shooting at these distances with a flintlock, and similar peep setup?

And if 'yes,' how much of an additional challenge factor does the rock sparker add over the capper?

Sentry44

OP: That's some incredible shooting!

Have you done any shooting at these distances with a flintlock, and similar peep setup?

And if 'yes,' how much of an additional challenge factor does the rock sparker add over the capper?

Sentry44
I searched around and looked this thread back up due to thinking along those very lines, as in how accurately can the old TC Renegade flinter be, refit with a 24" twist .52 bore barrel.
Maybe I can figure out how accurate I can be shooting it this summer.

I searched around and looked this thread back up due to thinking along those very lines, as in how accurately can the old TC Renegade flinter be, refit with a 24" twist .52 bore barrel.
Maybe I can figure out how accurate I can be shooting it this summer.
What bullets are you going to try?

I know the Shoot, The Wasserburger Mile :)
They’re doing another shoot this coming Labor Day… I will be back with more info.

Courtesy of @ResearchPress page on Facebook…

“ This year marks the 150th anniversary of the matches fired at Creedmoor in 1874. To celebrate this historic event for BPTR shooting of both long range muzzleloader and breach loader rifles. A match is being held Labor Day weekend at the Wasserburger Ranch north of Lusk Wyoming 5 miles off US 85. The match is welcome to all shooters that wish to experience the shooting on an original size 1874 Creedmoor steel target, one shot at a time as was done in 1874. Any safe position is allowed along with traditional cross sticks, or off bench cross sticks, the only caveat is that the rifle must be shot off the shoulder, no rear bag. We are trying to be more inclusive than other matches with our event. Long range muzzle loader rifles are also welcome. The match is capped at 40 shooters and we have 16 paid entries as of 4/19/24. We also have two LR muzzle loading rifles entered already. This will be the premiere BPTR event in the western USA for 2024.

For further information contact me at [email protected]. The match is an invitational event. You must contact me to receive an entry form.”

Last edited:
What bullets are you going to try?
I'm thinking about having a second hand Lyman machined to make a slick sided plain base bullet for paper patching, somewhere between 500 and 600 grains. Those presently on hand for paper patching are all lube grooved designs.
It is oh so tempting to get a drop-in rifled barrel for the 1816. It would be fun but have to ask myself how much would I use it.

I'm thinking about having a second hand Lyman machined to make a slick sided plain base bullet for paper patching, somewhere between 500 and 600 grains. Those presently on hand for paper patching are all lube grooved designs.
It is oh so tempting to get a drop-in rifled barrel for the 1816. It would be fun but have to ask myself how much would I use it.
Those should work pretty well. I have paper patched grease grooved bullets with satisfactory results. @Idaho Ron does so with I believe a 440 grain bullet intended for the S&W 500… offhand I couldn’t tell you what the rate of twist is but it seems like maybe 20” or so.

They’re doing another shoot this coming Labor Day… I will be back with more info.

Courtesy of @ResearchPress page on Facebook…

“ This year marks the 150th anniversary of the matches fired at Creedmoor in 1874. To celebrate this historic event for BPTR shooting of both long range muzzleloader and breach loader rifles. A match is being held Labor Day weekend at the Wasserburger Ranch north of Lusk Wyoming 5 miles off US 85. The match is welcome to all shooters that wish to experience the shooting on an original size 1874 Creedmoor steel target, one shot at a time as was done in 1874. Any safe position is allowed along with traditional cross sticks, or off bench cross sticks, the only caveat is that the rifle must be shot off the shoulder, no rear bag. We are trying to be more inclusive than other matches with our event. Long range muzzle loader rifles are also welcome. The match is capped at 40 shooters and we have 16 paid entries as of 4/19/24. We also have two LR muzzle loading rifles entered already. This will be the premiere BPTR event in the western USA for 2024.

For further information contact me at [email protected]. The match is an invitational event. You must contact me to receive an entry form.”
This seems like a great time. I'd love to enter but don't have any sort of a LR muzzleloader. Only a 58 flinter.

Those should work pretty well. I have paper patched grease grooved bullets with satisfactory results. @Idaho Ron does so with I believe a 440 grain bullet intended for the S&W 500… offhand I couldn’t tell you what the rate of twist is but it seems like maybe 20” or so.
Entertaining a prejudice based upon the old maxim that one use the heaviest bullet that your rifle shoots accurately...
Yeah, a lot of lead.

Entertaining a prejudice based upon the old maxim that one use the heaviest bullet that your rifle shoots accurately...
Yeah, a lot of lead.
Accurate can make your mold…
50-490P .png
50 tc 415I.png

You know, I've been really tempted more than once to ask Tom to tweak one of those fifty molds just a little bigger to size .519 diameter. The grooved Lyman and Lee designs I have are the right diameter for wrapping but I'd like to shoot plain bases lubed lead as well.

You know, I've been really tempted more than once to ask Tom to tweak one of those fifty molds just a little bigger to size .519 diameter. The grooved Lyman and Lee designs I have are the right diameter for wrapping but I'd like to shoot plain bases lubed lead as well.
As far as I know, he’s still not changing for the design time…

If anyone wants to read about some fantastic shooting of muzzleloaders check out Walter Cline's book, The Muzzleloading Rifle. He had facsimiles of targets made at what most call long range at witnessed matches. And account's of the heavy bench guns making INCREDIBLE shots during the ACW.

Back