• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 ACP Cap-n-Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmonday2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought that would get you attention!

I have a mould for 230 round nose bulletts that I have to size to .451 for my ACP. I was just wondering if any of you have tried these type of bulletts in your cap-n-ball? It stands to reason that if Im shooting .454 rb and it shears off lead, then I may be able to try these in my Ruger old Army?
I think I measured my cylender to be .449, and I think after lubing the bulletts it would be a good shear fit.
Any thoughts on this?
:thanks: Ronnie...

If they were cast out of pure lead they might work fine, but if they are a hard alloy like you use in your auto they might be too tough to shear into the cylinder with the typical C&B loading lever. ::

Pure lead throws smaller than alloys so you may want to run a few and mike them after cooling. They should work great for penetration but I don't think you will see the accuracy level that round balls deliver. No matter how careful you are, the bullets will not start squarely to the chamber every time so they hit the forcing cone a bit skewed.

I have an original picket-bullet mold for an 1860 Army that throws a 220 gr bullet so the weight shouldn't be an issue in a Ruger.

Yes, I used to shoot 200gr Speer Semi-Wadcutters in an 1860 Colt and they do "hit hard", but accuracy was not all that great especially for the amount of trouble it was to "center them" in the chambers. I shot LOTS of these bullets (+500) and then realized that the gun was loosening up. I stopped the (modern) conical use and went back to just plain round balls with grease slapped on top of them.

I think the Ruger might be better suited to hold up over a long period of time and shooting heavier conicals. Seems that some bullet moulds have a slight bevel edge that will help you get the bullets to start easier. BUT it's still not easy to do (load conicals), and round balls are SO MUCH easier to load and their accuracy is better too. The "conical" bullets are a nice novelty load, but if you are wanting the best performance from the gun, you'll soon forget about the idea.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

It stands to reason that if Im shooting .454 rb and it shears off lead, then I may be able to try these in my Ruger old Army?

I was under the impression that the Ruger Old Army used .457 round balls... :hmm:

It stands to reason that if Im shooting .454 rb and it shears off lead, then I may be able to try these in my Ruger old Army?

I was under the impression that the Ruger Old Army used .457 round balls... :hmm:

To prevent any confusion, that I might've caused...
I never loaded any .451-.452 diameter modern lead (.45cap intended use)pistol bullets in a Ruger--I didn't own a Ruger until a much later point in time. I used a Navy Arms steel framed 1860 Colt replica. The chambers were .449 - .450 on that particular gun. That is also the gun that I loosened up and one of the few cap-n-ball revolvers that I've seen that was really worn out just by shooting it.

As far as Ruger Old Armys go...
.457 diameter is the "Ruger recommended" size, but the chambers measured .450 on the one I had... I don't know what Ruger's specs. are for chamber measurements on Ruger Old Armys. I used .454 diameter balls in mine and had no problems at all (AND they were much easier to load than the .457 balls). Though the .457 balls were a little more accurate, the .454's were easier to find and probably not as "hard" on the loading lever.

I figure that's why they (Rugers) do generally get such better performance than most replica guns, is because of using such a tight fitting ball and being able to hold more powder (kind of like a "modern Dragoon" equivalent).

I'd also like to say that while I actually do use conicals in cap-n-ball guns--mainly when I'm making up "cartridges" (nitrated cigarette paper, powder, bullet/ball). But these are very low charges pushing them and they are beveled base bullets that will load easier than most. (they are the old style conicals).

It's always nice to be able to gain extra power and performance with a cap-n-ball gun. But I don't think it's worth it in the long run. As the same applies with modern guns, if you want more power--move up to the next larger caliber. I know... kinda hard to do with cap-n-ball guns, as .44/.45 caliber is basically all the bigger that there is.

I'd personally really like to see Ruger or someone come out with a cap-n-ball revolver in .50 caliber. (uses the same .490 balls that the rifle would use--except without the patches). I don't know why they couldn't make one above .50 caliber either, since I believe that ".50 caliber or under rule" applies to modern metallic cartridge firing guns.

Wouldn't it be great fun to have a five shot .58 caliber revolver that could shoot 500gr conicals? Just dreaming I guess...

Safe Shooting!
WV_Hillbilly

I wouldn't want to touch off a pistol shooting 500 gr bullets but a 5 shot 50 or 54 caliber Old Army revolver is a GREAT idea! Another forum had a thread going about most popular calibers with 54 or 50 winning hands down so a pistol that used the same round ball would be outstanding as a sidearm. I'd dang sure buy one. It could take a .490 ball in 50 and a .520 ball in the 54 version. Shooters who used slightly larger sizes could still seat them with the Ruger's stout loading lever.

WV and anyone else who might be interested - we can all write Ruger and see what they say - they have a reputation for listening to their customers so this could be a possibility.

They already made a 50 caliber revolver. youll merely need to have Squire Robin send you one thru the mail if he can find one that has managed to survive english "demilitirizing"

Clemments Custom Guns does a 5 shot .50 caliber conversions on the Ruger Old Army. The ballistics and accuracy are quite impressive. But the price ain't cheap. I want to say it is close to a grand for the job.

Thanks for the information! I hadn't thought about the casting being too hard and thats a very good point. But I had pondered the alignment during seating.
As far as .454 and .457 goes, I havent realy got to the nitty gritty at the bench. However, the .454 does shear all the way around which helps prevent chain-fire from what I understand.
What is the hotest loads any of you have shot in one of these Rugers?

Heavier bullets mean increased recoil; so be sure that your bullets don't slide away from the powder charge when you're shooting. If the bullet is centered in the chamber, it'll probably stay put but .001" doesn't leave much margin for error on centering the bullet.

Latest posts

Back