• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 vs .36?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old original 32 ML. It has a very long barrel. I have no idea how old the RR is but it is very old and has lasted a long time. It is a straight grained hickory rod.

Well, it seems off hand if you use a ball starter that puts the PRB say 6" down the barrel and then grasp the ramrod about 6" up from the muzzle and push that down, and continue until the ball is seated, it seems the issue of a broken ramrod would be very slight or non-existent, provided there is no run out on the ramrod. They should always be split.
On the metal, I don't think there is anything wrong historically since military muskets often used them and they were used on some pistols. Maybe get a metal musket ramrod and turn down the top to 36 or 40 caliber.
Or, just keep the wood ramrod for "show" and use a fiberglass/etc. at the range and in the field- probably the better option.
One final thought... You don't see many ball starters that are original and the theory is a lot were started by hand so the fit had to be more loose. Maybe that meant the old wood ramrods were never stressed that much- we might be putting more stress on tight fitting balls.

You don't see many ball starters that are original and the theory is a lot were started by hand so the fit had to be more loose. Maybe that meant the old wood ramrods were never stressed that much- we might be putting more stress on tight fitting balls.

Yes, I'm sure we are. Another reason I doubt so many of the long range shot tales.

Most original LRs that are collected today have replacement RRs and one doesn't know how many replacements preceded the present one.

All my LR builds have hickory RRs w/o grain runout.... I buy them from Steve Bailey.

The synthetic RRs are stronger and I use one w/ my TC Hawken....also the longer cleaning RR is from the same mat'l. Modern man made mat'ls are stronger than what nature produces {wood VS graphite arrows...no comparison}, but my LR builds deserve a good hickory RR.......Fred

I hope your defective ramrod doesn't break again and sever an artery, killing you.

:shocked2: :hmm:

That's a bit dark and very unlikely, and I've severed an artery in my hand (though not from a jagged ramrod)..., which was spectacular. :grin: But it wasn't tough to staunch, and they had me sitting in the waiting room at St. Joseph's in Milwaukee for three hours, until I opened it up and squirted a big X in blood on the window at the admitting station. :grin:

Sometimes ya gotta know how to motivate people.... :haha:

Still, a jagged piece of ramrod through the hand can be a problem, and one reply mentioned a rather lengthy recovery. IF nothing else..., since many of us probably don't carry a spare ramrod in the car, snapping off the ramrod square or jagged is going to end the shooting for the day, in many cases. Might prematurely end a hunt, which would suck. :cursing:

Then there is the delay in replacement, unless the owner has had the prudence to stock up on replacement blanks..., "just in case". :shocked2:

To get pack to the original question of the OP...

[Short answer] I had the choice between .36 and .40 and I chose .40, as it's legal in my state for deer, and makes a good squirrel/rabbit caliber.

[longer answer] I got lucky and secured some .40 caliber custom conical bullets, based on the Lee REAL design, so if I go for deer, I shall have no performance worries, although I was not worried before since my shots with it would be 50 yards or less with patched round ball.

I also have decided to experiment with some .401 bullets meant for .40 S&W handgun reloading. I want to see what they will do..., first will all lead cast smaller from the mold that I was given, which was made to accept a much harder bullet alloy. Second can they be loaded or must they be swaged smaller to be loaded into my ML, and finally will they shoot well, since they are a "stubby" design at 175 grains compared to my 200 grain REAL style bullets meant for the rifle..., not to mention the 1:48 twist probably isn't fast enough. They will probably tumble like a football kicked for a field goal...
:idunno:

Fun to goof around with, though.

LD

When hunting I always had a spare RR in the car. My son sits in a tree stand for deer and always has a RR hanging from a nail or branch cutoff....the RR has a wire brush on one end and the other end has the concave fitting for loading.

Not having an available 2nd RR when hunting is folly...I'm an optimist, but not to that degree. Or is it a lack of experience?.........Fred

3/8" brass tubing with a 1/8" bore is a great place to start. Easy to make the threads for the jag. Also easy to make a screw on cleaning extension for steel musket ram rods.

Even with short starters using wood as the rod you have to be careful. I was slapping the starter with one hit when it shattered and I impaled my wrist on the piece sticking out of the barrel. Luckily missed any major veins. The replacement rod is a nice straight grain piece, now I hit it about 3 times to seat the starter and the ball. Short strokes on the ram rod finish the job.

Loyalist Dave said:
I've severed an artery in my hand (though not from a jagged ramrod)..., which was spectacular. :grin: But it wasn't tough to staunch, and they had me sitting in the waiting room at St. Joseph's in Milwaukee for three hours, until I opened it up and squirted a big X in blood on the window at the admitting station. :grin:

Sometimes ya gotta know how to motivate people....

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Been there done that.
You are so right.

:wink:

William Alexander

I wear gloves without the fingers. I wear them so seating and shooting loads doesn't stress my arthritic hands so much. But they also offer a bit of protection against injury from a broken rod. I use a grip just a few inches above the muzzle to seat prb. It's definitely an important safety concern.

garra said:
Even with short starters using wood as the rod you have to be careful. I was slapping the starter with one hit when it shattered and I impaled my wrist on the piece sticking out of the barrel. Luckily missed any major veins. The replacement rod is a nice straight grain piece, now I hit it about 3 times to seat the starter and the ball. Short strokes on the ram rod finish the job.

I think those are a bigger risk, because the resistance forces in starting a load are greater than when the load is further down the bore. Plus, your hand is directly over the rod when you're smacking it down, as opposed to just gripping it from the side.

Sometimes I wonder how any of us have survived, e.g. pouring an explosive (blackpowder) down a pipe (barrel)/ (pipe bomb?), using wooden ramrods, blowing down the barrel and I'm sure other dangerous things we do every time we shoot. I'm kind of glad there was not an internet around with I first started shooting muzzleloaders, If I'd known all the dangers, may have stuck to "catridge" guns.
:doh:

I agree, Snakebite. Apparently it's not enough to take normal precautions, as any halfway intelligent adult would, and learn to play with sharp and dangerous toys. It's a good thing my Momma never knew what I was doing.

If I was as afraid of the hobby as I apparently should be, I wouldn't have the nerve to crawl out from under the bed in the morning.

Spence

Snakebite said:
Sometimes I wonder how any of us have survived, e.g. pouring an explosive (blackpowder) down a pipe (barrel)/ (pipe bomb?), using wooden ramrods, blowing down the barrel and I'm sure other dangerous things we do every time we shoot. I'm kind of glad there was not an internet around with I first started shooting muzzleloaders, If I'd known all the dangers, may have stuck to "catridge" guns.
:doh:

Does make one wonder, don't it? :hmm:

George said:
I agree, Snakebite. Apparently it's not enough to take normal precautions, as any halfway intelligent adult would, and learn to play with sharp and dangerous toys. It's a good thing my Momma never knew what I was doing.

If I was as afraid of the hobby as I apparently should be, I wouldn't have the nerve to crawl out from under the bed in the morning.

Spence
Sometimes I wonder how I lived this long...then it dawns on me, I may not always be cautious but I'm not stupid! Well, not usually! :rotf: Have burned all the hair off my front from chin to about 2 inches into my hairline...but got all my fingers! :shocked2: :doh:

Not only muzzle loading. I grew up on a farm and my daughters all spent their first 6-10 years living on a farm. They all survived large machinery, dangerous animals(hogs, cattle, mean roosters etc.) farm ponds, stock tanks, barbed wire, dangerous chemicals, dirt, bugs and the list goes on and on. Being alive is mostly a dangerous thing. That still doesn't mean one wants to go out of their way and be stupid.

Makes muzzleloading look pretty tame.

Back