• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question/Survey about setting up a "Small Game" Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Too-Tall

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been tasked with setting up and running a "Small Game" shoot. I am in KY and the rules for small game with Ml'ers has no maximum restrictions in the rules, says "muzzleloading rifles as legal equipment, and muzzleloader shotguns no more than 10 gauge". Some of the shooters want it to be 40 cal and under only. This would exclude about 50% of available shooters that do not own a sub 40 caliber rifle. Yes they could borrow one to compete. But, here's my logic if its legal to use over a 40 caliber within the state game laws - then in theory I should allow any caliber to be used for the small game shoot. I am for letting anyone compete that wants with any legal ML - the more the better. What says the group.
Edited: This will be shot using steel and paper targets, not on actual small game animals.

Last edited:
I agree with you. There is no reason to restrict anyone as long as their weapon of choice is legal. I never have and never will understand some people’s desire to tell others what they can and can’t do. Not everyone can afford a .32 cal squirrel rifle, a Fowler for turkeys and .50 or .54 cal for deer hunting.

Not sure what state you are in or if this applies, just remember to check to make sure you dont need a permit. I know in My state any organized event, competition, tournament, derby etc that involves fishing or game animals needs one. The permits are pretty cheap, but believe me if you posted something online anywhere, someone knows.

Not sure what state you are in or if this applies, just remember to check to make sure you dont need a permit. I know in My state any organized event, competition, tournament, derby etc that involves fishing or game animals needs one. The permits are pretty cheap, but believe me if you posted something online anywhere, someone knows.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my post and I can see that now. I was referring to an actual small game style target match with combination of steel and paper targets. I edited my post good looking out.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my post and I can see that now. I was referring to an actual small game style target match with combination of steel and paper targets. I edited my post good looking out.
Actually I guess I should have realized that myself. As I hunter I was obviously thinking small game and forgot people shoot steel targets!🤣

The only "Rub" I see is how targets are scored. For instance, on a paper target in which points are scored by "cutting a scoring line" rather than using the center of a bullet hole, then the larger diameter projectile has a distinct advantage. Of course, the same is true with other targets, but more so on paper targets.

There used to be (and probably still are) scoring tools that were placed in the center of holes that allowed the judges to determine the center of each hole regardless of caliber. They had a clear plastic "ring" around a plug. Old days, shooters provided their own "half ball" (cut in half) for judges to use.

Frankly ,we need all the shooters we can get! Let everyone compete and have fun!!!

Good idea.
Just a nit pick, but why specify "steel" if shooting targets into a backstop. It can be hard on barrels.

I have been tasked with setting up and running a "Small Game" shoot. I am in KY and the rules for small game with Ml'ers has no maximum restrictions in the rules, says "muzzleloading rifles as legal equipment, and muzzleloader shotguns no more than 10 gauge". Some of the shooters want it to be 40 cal and under only. This would exclude about 50% of available shooters that do not own a sub 40 caliber rifle. Yes they could borrow one to compete. But, here's my logic if its legal to use over a 40 caliber within the state game laws - then in theory I should allow any caliber to be used for the small game shoot. I am for letting anyone compete that wants with any legal ML - the more the better. What says the group.
Edited: This will be shot using steel and paper targets, not on actual small game animals.

The objection to the larger calibers is valid if the distances to the targets is far enough away and there is a cross wind. The guys shooting .36 and especially those shooting .32 will not do nearly as well as a guy with a heavily loaded .54 when it comes to bucking the wind.

Further, the larger calibers are more forgiving than the "small game" calibers on scoring....,

For example:

FREE SQUIRREL TARGET .54 score.jpg
FREE SQUIRREL TARGET 36 impact.jpg

LD

Using NMLRA rules for round ball, you would score center of ball making no difference for scoring various ball sizes. Most of the time the scorer can eyeball the center but for close call an overlay template is needed. You can buy one from the NMLRA.
https://www.nmlra.org/store/scoring-overlay

Last edited:
Hope it works out for you, and you can come to a compromise. You'll never make "everyone" happy. Sounds like a lot of fun. It sounds like there is the potential for the majority to enjoy themselves and it could be a regular occurrence.

It is sad but when you start making up shoots that rule out 1/2 of your members then before long you will only have half of your shooters that show up, been there and watched a club split in half. As others pointed out if you go by NMLRA rules you score by the center of the ball. Maybe a compromise where the large caliber shooters use a half charge because you don't need a load that would kill a buffalo to hunt small game.

You're in charge of setting up and running the shoot, so you make the final decision. I agree with with you that the shoot should be open to any legal caliber/bore. Just understand that no matter what you decide, there will be some "experts" that will say you're wrong.

Match director makes the rules. As long as conditions are the same for all shooters then caliber matters not. The only thing to worry about is possible damage to steel targets.
Thats why at our shoots in lines are not allowed unless they can shoot a reduced load and lead bullet.
Just a quick aside on that, we have one member who always said he wanted to shoot his inline. I told him if he came out he could use my flint. I even told him I would take care of loading it for him. He came out and shot outlr trailwalk last weekend. And now he is actively looking for a flint of his own. Win win As we like to say, the needle is in the arm.
KevinIMG_8887.jpeg

Back