• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

28 gauge... 54 smooth... I have ?s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am currently looking at a French Fusil by Jim Frost in 28 ga. The gun looks well put together and of good components. I am in the market for a "trade gun" style smoothie, and this rig seems to fit the bill so far. What I am hesitating about though, is the fact that I have no experience with such a gauge. I am familiar with 20 ga (62 cal) and a couple other common ones. What I would like to know...

...Will a 28 ga take the the same diameter round ball as a 54 cal rifle??? Can I mold the the same size balls for both? Also...

...Can you load a 28 ga smoothie hot enough to be an efficient deer killer?

Thank you for any help on these matters. Joel

Most likely you will have to go down to a 52 ball in a 54 smoothie. As far as loading it hot enough for deer most definitely yes. I had a 54 smooth bore for many years loaded it with 80 gr. 3F and patched ball and managed to put a few on the table. Wish I still had that gun sold it like a dummy!

Mike

Plansman one thing I forgot if you shoot bare ball you may be able to shoot 535 balls. Some guys shoot bare ball with good results I never have so I shoot patched balls.

Mike

I have one and freaking love it. Shoot a prb (.530 with pillow ticking) very well. Use 60 grains of either 2f or 3f, both working equally as well.

Would feel confident shooting at a deer in range.

It's also fun to carry on treks or small game hunts.

Thank you guys. It would be great to be able to use the same round ball in this 28 ga as in my 54 cal rifle! Since you say it could work, I'm thinking harder on trying to score this Fusil.

MTplainsman said:
...Will a 28 ga take the the same diameter round ball as a 54 cal rifle??? Can I mold the the same size balls for both?
Yes. But you should experiment with other ball sizes. You gun will tell you what it likes.

MTplainsman said:
...Can you load a 28 ga smoothie hot enough to be an efficient deer killer?
Certainly. Best of luck, and enjoy the ride.

I'm a little worried a 28 will be pretty weak for a good turkey gun? I usually shoot for the head, so maybe a certain load will work for this purpose. What are your thoughts on this?

Btw, I can't call and check on this gun till Monday... I hope it is still available.

MTplainsman said:
I'm a little worried a 28 will be pretty weak for a good turkey gun? I usually shoot for the head, so maybe a certain load will work for this purpose. What are your thoughts on this?

Btw, I can't call and check on this gun till Monday... I hope it is still available.
I really can't testify here, as I have no experience turkey hunting. But logic tells me that if you work up a good load, it might indeed prove effective.

It will kill turkeys. I load 60 gr of 2F, hemp fiber wad, 1 and 1/8 oz of #6 shot, another wad of hemp. I limit my shots to 20 yards or less.

I've been shooting more than one 28 bore gun for years now compeditively. Using .535 and .530 balls with patching. It just depends on whose barrel is in the gun what bore dia it is. BJH

I had a 28ga smooth rifle made by Jack Hubbard.It had rear sights and shot a round ball good. I mostly hunted rabbits and squirrels with shot. I was going to try it on turkeys but never got around to it. I sold the gun to a man that was going to hunt elk with round ball

Squirrel_Hunter.JPG

I've never hunted turkeys with my 28 gauge because until last year a 20 gauge was required in Kentucky. I've killed quite a few squirrels with it, though, at distances out to 25 yards, and I have no doubt it can take turkey. I've used modern wads, tow and shredded cedar bark on the squirrels, and patterns are more than adequate with all of them.

Spence

That is the Beauty if Muzzleloaders, you can work up a load to work for most situations, the only reason I did not make my Fowler a 28 gauge is the Darn hunting regulations for Turkey. Most states require a 20 gauge or larger. SO check your local regs and any other state that you might ever hunt.

The gun will do it, the key is knowing the limitations and staying within them!

Good luck and share some pictures of your new Beauty!!

I’m a bit curious how one gets a bare ball to stay on the charge. Seems it would need to be the same diameter.

You're right according to the shotgun gauge chart. But it seems that what we may be calling a 28 gauge is based on 54 caliber, which used a .530-.535 approximate ball size, my 54 smoothie uses a .015 patched .520 ball.

Back