• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey load for a 28 gauge (56 cal) ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks! This may have been already discussed on this forum many times before and I apologize if I am asking a repetitive question here...

...I am headed South to District 7 in Montana for Spring Gobbler and I will be taking my Ken Netting Type G Trade Gun in 56 cal with a 45" barrel. I will be starting to work up a load for this gun every moment our weather permits here up until April 15th. This may not leave me with a pile of time to come up with a proper load for the hunt, so I am looking for a wee bit of a "short cut" in gaining advice on where to start. I have a VERY LARGE stock of #5 shot and FFF powder at my disposal, but I could buy other components for this project if it be best. What do you got for me me? Where should I start? Thank you my friends, Joel

I'm a beginner in smoothbores but my 58 caliber patterns pretty well at 21 yards with 50 grains 3F Goex, a 1/8" card wad, a 1/2" cushion wad soaked in 2 parts lard 1 part beeswax, 1 or 1 1/8 oz #5 shot and a thin card wad on top.
I'm going to use it on a javelina hunt in a couple of weeks with a 562 round ball and a .011 patch and the same 50 grain charge.

50 grains 2F and 1oz #5 using Skychief's loading method gives me the best patterns in my 24 ga trade gun.

If Kansas ever reopens it's turkey season again I might get to use it:rolleyes:

50 grains 2F and 1oz #5 using Skychief's loading method gives me the best patterns in my 24 ga trade gun.

If Kansas ever reopens it's turkey season again I might get to use it:rolleyes:
the spring season never changed. They did, however, reduce the bag limit and switched the nonresident system to a draw

Hi folks! This may have been already discussed on this forum many times before and I apologize if I am asking a repetitive question here...

...I am headed South to District 7 in Montana for Spring Gobbler and I will be taking my Ken Netting Type G Trade Gun in 56 cal with a 45" barrel. I will be starting to work up a load for this gun every moment our weather permits here up until April 15th. This may not leave me with a pile of time to come up with a proper load for the hunt, so I am looking for a wee bit of a "short cut" in gaining advice on where to start. I have a VERY LARGE stock of #5 shot and FFF powder at my disposal, but I could buy other components for this project if it be best. What do you got for me me? Where should I start? Thank you my friends, Joel
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/shot-patterns.160172/

Let us know what you end up going with!

I don't know about the charges but for my 10 Guage I use the vm Starr method 2
ffg swiss powder, 4 thin over shot cards, shot, 2 thin over shot cards worked great. In a couple weeks I'm gonna try something I saw capandball use ... powder, scoop of cornmeal( the same scoop as the shot) , shot, over shot card. He said for percussion guns you pick a shot charge you want and use 3/4 powder of the shot charge volume. For flintlock you use equal volume shot and powder

Try some 28G plastic shot cups. Powder, op card wad, well lubed felt wad, shot cup, shot, os card and if you want try a Skycheif wad on top.

Back