• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

28 gauge wad in a .54 smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently purchased some for my 56SB TC. Slightly loose fit but not enough to worry about, a lubed felt wad will go behind them. I tried one in a rifled 54, very tight fit. Don't think I'd try it with a fouled bore.

Last edited:
I have a .54 cal smoothbore flint. Plastic wads aren't a good fit for me. Over the powder, FFFG, I use a thick over powder card, a lubed fiber cushion wad, and wrapped shot. I wrap shot in two layers of butcher paper, seal the seam with wood glue 27828525109_4230ee134c_c.jpgbito.jpg, tied at both ends. I push the shot almost all the way into the bore, and tear off the front end before ramming, and add an over shot card. I find the thicker the paper, the tighter the pattern. Upland loads work well with newspaper. Just the way I do it.

Sorry guys for the late response. I purchase my felt from Duro Felt online. Get the 1/4 or 3/8 inch hard gray or white felt. You can try putting a hard leather over powder wad over the powder. Then put the lubed felt wad over it and see if that will mitigate a lot of the hot gas blowby. I use olive oil and real bee's wax. Yes, like the gentleman above stated you can simply cut off the bottom and use the shot cup by itself. Your best bet depends on what you intend to hunt and pattern testing. Feel free to pm me and I will be glad to help.

Circle fly wads work well in my belgian 30 gauge long tom flintlock s good patterns and range for small game hunting 60 grains 2ffg a circle fly 28 gauge wad 3/4 once no 6 or 7 with a a circle fly 28 gauge wad on top work very well these Belgian trade guns with their 51 barrels pattern and hit hard with these loads light recoil mild report kill rabbits and phesants to 30 +Yards with a unpatched 530 ball 60 gains 2ffg with a circle fly 28 gauge wad on top I taken Deer to60 +yards many critters over the last 55 years

Back