• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just bought 1988 Uberti New Model Navy unfired condition. Photos inside

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking for an Uberti remington pattern navy with a 6.5 inch barrel for some time. Currently uberti only makes a 7.5 inch version. Luckily I was able to find this one in unfired condition. This gun is of the quality uberti made it's name with. It came with the display case and items shown, including the original box and hand-written receipt from DGW. It was manufactured in 1988 sold in 1989. It still had the original packing greas that had turned to glue all inside and in the crevices. After cleaning and slicking it up, this thing shines like new money. The polish is top notch, head and shoulders above current production. In a previous post where I was asking questions about this gun, @Pete453 alluded to the fact that older reproductions could have been 10ish% smaller then current production. Well after some measuring they are infact 5ish% smaller. We've all heard the term "pietta tail"...how about current production uberti tail? The profile of the grip on current production ubertis has a noticeable "tail" as compared to this older model. I much prefer the older model grip and appears to be more accurate in my estimate having only seen originals in photos. Notice the comparison in the photos below.

Does anyone now what the nipple thread is on these older ubertis? The diameter is a little larger and thread pitch a little different. This stock nipple won't even hold a #11 cap even a little bit and I always replace them anyway. I myself will be shooting this gun and giving its legs an over due stretching.

Attachments

• 20230924_131044.jpg
    20230924_131044.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230924_131140.jpg
    20230924_131140.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230924_133849.jpg
    20230924_133849.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230924_133653.jpg
    20230924_133653.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230924_131744.jpg
    20230924_131744.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230924_131550.jpg
    20230924_131550.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
I have been looking for an Uberti remington pattern navy with a 6.5 inch barrel for some time. Currently uberti only makes a 7.5 inch version. Luckily I was able to find this one in unfired condition. This gun is of the quality uberti made it's name with. It came with the display case and items shown, including the original box and hand-written receipt from DGW. It was manufactured in 1988 sold in 1989. It still had the original packing greas that had turned to glue all inside and in the crevices. After cleaning and slicking it up, this thing shines like new money. The polish is top notch, head and shoulders above current production. In a previous post where I was asking questions about this gun, @Pete453 alluded to the fact that older reproductions could have been 10ish% smaller then current production. Well after some measuring they are infact 5ish% smaller. We've all heard the term "pietta tail"...how about current production uberti tail? The profile of the grip on current production ubertis has a noticeable "tail" as compared to this older model. I much prefer the older model grip and appears to be more accurate in my estimate having only seen originals in photos. Notice the comparison in the photos below.

Does anyone now what the nipple thread is on these older ubertis? The diameter is a little larger and thread pitch a little different. This stock nipple won't even hold a #11 cap even a little bit and I always replace them anyway. I myself will be shooting this gun and giving its legs an over due stretching.
I have a twin to yours. Dunno about the thread pattern, the cones on mine fit Remington 10’s perfectly well. Great little gun.

VTI might be able to tell you what the threads are.

Does anyone now what the nipple thread is on these older ubertis? The diameter is a little larger and thread pitch a little different. This stock nipple won't even hold a #11 cap even a little bit and I always replace them anyway. ....
Might want to contact Slixprings. They seem to be the know-all experts on cap 'n ball replacement nipples.

https://www.slixprings.com/faq.php

Might want to contact Slixprings. They seem to be the know-all experts on cap 'n ball replacement nipples.

https://www.slixprings.com/faq.php
Yeah I love slixshots on my ROA and 1862 police. I need to borrow them from one
Of the other guns and see how they work on my 44 remmy before I decide which I want. Always used treso on my remington as cap
Jams aren't a thing on those. This new
Navy has the strongest hammer spring of an revolver I've used, so I wouldn't think this one would be a problem.

Interestingly this revolver has the serial number on every single piece...rammer, cylinder, trigger guard, frame and wood grips.

Last edited:
I asked because i have a 71 Lyman .36 unfired, so i wondered if your may be a Lyman, but they had address on top of barrel…

Attachments

• IMG_2102.jpeg
    IMG_2102.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0
While this thread dates back to Sept/23, guess its still relevant as the OP recently posted. I have a Remington Uberti, although it is 44 caliber, I bought it back around 1985. I checked the nipple thread of the original nipples and they are 6.75"mm. Checking the charts on Track of the Wolf's site for nipples this is pretty standard for Uberti Rems of this era and later.

What is also important is the cone length or the height of the nipple minus the thread length (the part of the nipple sitting atop of the cylinder). Cone length is important for proper function in a percussion revolver. To short of a cone may result in misfires. The cone length of my original Rem nipples is approx 0.290" which according to Tracks chart is common for earlier Uberti Rem revolvers. Later made Uberti's show 0.300" as a common dimension which is the measurement of most of my newer Uberti products.

FWIW the measurement of just the tapered cone of the original Uberti Remington is approx 0.177". #10 Remington caps work the best IMO followed by CCI #11's. RWS 1075's also work. Reference the OP's statement that older reproductions have smaller dimensions, I read sometime back of this to be a fact with alot of older cappers. My first one a '72 Euroarms '51 Colt had really small nipples (height/nipple diameter) compared to much later reproductions. Was a real PITA, what caps were available back then (very few) I had to pinch everyone and at times they would not hold when firing. I've read that early Pietta's were all over the map as far as standard nipple dimensions. l have a Pietta Remington cylinder that while Rem 10's and CCI 11's fit my other two cylinders for that Pietta Rem, this one cylinder that I bought from a guy on another forum is the only cylinder that will allow the use of CCI #10's. Everything else I have the CCI 10's will not seat on the nipples.

Last edited:
While this thread dates back to Sept/23, guess its still relevant as the OP recently posted. I have a Remington Uberti, although it is 44 caliber, I bought it back around 1985. I checked the nipple thread of the original nipples and they are 6.75"mm. Checking the charts on Track of the Wolf's site for nipples this is pretty standard for Uberti Rems of this era and later.

What is also important is the cone length or the height of the nipple minus the thread length (the part of the nipple sitting atop of the cylinder). Cone length is important for proper function in a percussion revolver. To short of a cone may result in misfires. The cone length of my original Rem nipples is approx 0.290" which according to Tracks chart is common for earlier Uberti Rem revolvers. Later made Uberti's show 0.300" as a common dimension which is the measurement of most of my newer Uberti products.

FWIW the measurement of just the tapered cone of the original Uberti Remington is approx 0.177". #10 Remington caps work the best IMO followed by CCI #11's. RWS 1075's also work. Reference the OP's statement that older reproductions have smaller dimensions, I read sometime back of this to be a fact with alot of older cappers. My first one a '72 Euroarms '51 Colt had really small nipples (height/nipple diameter) compared to much later reproductions. Was a real PITA, what caps were available back then (very few) I had to pinch everyone and at times they would not hold when firing. I've read that early Pietta's were all over the map as far as standard nipple dimensions. l have a Pietta Remington cylinder that while Rem 10's and CCI 11's fit my other two cylinders for that Pietta Rem, this one cylinder that I bought from a guy on another forum is the only cylinder that will allow the use of CCI #10's. Everything else I have the CCI 10's will not seat on the nipples.
I was able to figure out which sized I needed. Although I don't remember what they were, I did get them from TOTW

I was able to figure out which sized I needed. Although I don't remember what they were, I did get them from TOTW

I got the Uberti Navy Arms .36 Rem from 1966. I ordered regular Slixshots for Uberti, and they didn’t fit. They were 12-28 - no good.

I then sent one of mine to Slix, and also ordered several different nipples at Buffalo arms.

So, for my 1966 manufactured - M6x75 fits. AMPCO worked great with RWS Plus caps. Factory - almost ok. Only 2 of them used to always loose caps.

Slix has quickly sent a replacemwnt with no charge! Great support! Will be tested next time.

IMG_4395.jpeg

IMG_4397.jpeg
IMG_4399.jpeg
IMG_4401.jpeg

Last edited:
I love the Treso nipples. I have several seta, they fit number 11s perfectly but I have one set and strangely they only fit 10s..... they will not hold a 11 AT ALL. No
Bite whatsoever. I couldn't send them back because I had them for over a year before using. They have the smallest hole so they are perfect for pocket revolvers. Don't explode the caps to grab the frame and don't blow back the hammer. If they ever make Remington 10s again I will promptly buy several thousand

I love the Treso nipples. I have several seta, they fit number 11s perfectly but I have one set and strangely they only fit 10s..... they will not hold a 11 AT ALL. No
Bite whatsoever. I couldn't send them back because I had them for over a year before using. They have the smallest hole so they are perfect for pocket revolvers. Don't explode the caps to grab the frame and don't blow back the hammer. If they ever make Remington 10s again I will promptly buy several thousand
Yes, liked it too. Pleasant to operate. And also the price of 5 bucks each ))

Back