• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IF you could only hunt one animal...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greenmtnboy said:
anyhing with hindquarters and backstraps.
I agree, as long as it's elk, deer, and turkey. And grouse. And bunnies.
Some one said that elk are too hard to pack out when you get old. Well, the you do what my uncle Dale said, you "gentleman hunt". Close to the road, and uphill from it. :grin:

Well I thought long and hard about the original question reading through the whole thread. I love to hunt everything with a muzzleloader, and forever is a long time. That said I would have to say DUCKS! Duck hunting with a muzzleloader has to be the most fun thing I've ever done with a smoke pole!

I like to eat ducks, just not divers. I did give a guy a merganser once. We rented a cabin from him for a weekend. Asked if we had any ducks we did'nt want. I dressed it for him and gave it. :youcrazy: Not sure if he liked it or not, have'nt rented there in a few years.

Ducks actually pretty good, especially on the grill as long as its cooked medium rare like a steak, if it's over cooked it tastes like river water :shocked2:

Thats the trick right there! Not much better eating than a couple of woodies on the grill medium rare. Smoked teal is good too!

If they were around here I would say rabits, but they are not so I will say Mule Deer. We have white tails but I like mule deer better myself.

Many years ago I would go hunting rabits with a pistol made from a cut down rifle. I would get deep into the brush as I could and stalk bunnys. Fun stuff. Being as I am only 5'8" I can get into some tight brush and ussing only a half assed 'pistol' made the chalenge very dificult.
Them rabits helped me burn off alot of stress and kept me from strangleing a certain man in his sleep... Then I would also get roast rabbit out of the deal. Good stuff.

Well, if were talkin fun. Its would have to be coons. Ain't nuthin like running coonhounds all night. My blueticks make some real music.
For food..... Razorbacks.

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway

Im sure there are some on this board who will understand...

My Grandfather came back from WWI and never hunted again. I don't think that it was because it had lost the challenge. I think he just got oversaturated with death.

FloydWBunce-1.jpg

I can't really say as he never spoke of it. But he did make sure I knew how to shoot a .22 LR.

Thanks Grandpa.

My dad was a 15 year old kid who lied about his age and cost him $50! And enlisted with the marine's during WWII. He was on Iwo , Tarawa, & Pelilou. Got shot in each battle!

He too never cared to hunt but loved, I mean loved! The woods, outdoors everything.

War changes men.... No doubt. And he could shoot!

The only story that stuck in My mind was him telling me about the beach landing at Iwo .... He said guys were running off the landing craft thinking they were close to the beach - but they walked off and sunk with all the weight of their gear. The landing craft drivers couldn't get close to the beach a lot of times because of the fierce shooting.... He had a shaky voice telling the story... :(

flintlock62 said:
I would have to choose elk. Tasty, and the hide is very useful.

I would have to agree on the tasty succulent meat from this fine beat!
Anything else with cloven hooves minus the mighty moose and i'd be dining alone ;)

flyfisher76544 said:
GBG said:
Wild hogs - no closed season, no bag limit.

Definately, there are sooooo many around here!!

I only wish in this area!!
Wild bacon is a much desired side to accompany any fine meal of scramby eggs, bangers & beans and bannock :wink:

Latest posts

Back