• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Types of wood for smoking?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer Hickory and a hardwood called BlackJack. Really any hardwood can be used with varying degrees of taste!

Don't use Pine or pressure treated lumber!

No plywood either :grin:

My favorite and to me aint nuttin better then
Hickory just puts flavor in there so much yer toung will slap yer face to death ta get another bite.. Blackjack is a speice of oak. Just about all oak is good fer smokeing. Some others are
Pecon(pecan)
apple
orange
guava
alder
But Oak is a giveing wood fer just about anything
you want. Its mild and will do a great job also easy to get. Hope this here helps :thumbsup:

Rooster

Pecan is of the hickory family. I use hickory. I start with dry hickory, and progress to green a little later. I smoke hams and bacon for 72 hours. I've had lots of compliments on my smokin' abilities. A few years back at Thanksgiving, my sister baked a ham, and I brought a smoked one. Mine was gone at the end of the day, and hers was almost complete. I've tried most every kind of wood, but nothing beats hickory for smokin'. Pahaska

I have found you can use just about any kind of hardwood or fruitwood and get a good flavor. I've used cedar, hickory, oak, apple, cherry, pear, mesquite and a few others. I like the apple best for all around smoking, cedar for salmon.

Back in my bachalor days I arrived with chicken at a buddies house ,him not home ,I took a bunch of cherry limbs he had cut down and fired the bbq.no salt or pepper and the best chicken I ever ate..Is the grape vine you speak of the same big vines we find growing in the woods of Michigan?or do you have to rob the nieghbors arbor/....Mark

me and mine have always used pecan wood and it gives the meat a robust flavor better than mesquite or hickory as far as i am concearned

Out here on the left coast wild vine Maple is popular, just be caerfull where you cut it, I used to find a Beaver colony and steal what they had cut the night before..

just out of curiousity, has anyone tried wood from a crab apple tree? How about a sugar maple?

I have used maple wood, it did well. also cherry. have heard that pecan does well. my favorites are hickory and apple.

i've mostly used apple, cherry, or hickory, though with hickory,ive found its easy to use too much so the flavor is overpowering

Latest posts

Back