• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Doe down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBird

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hit the woods this morning in a new Public Land spot. We don't have many doe days locally, so I drove an hour and a half with intentions of camping if I couldn't make it happen today.

Morning hunt was a bust, and I couldn't seem to get away from people, so I left out and found another chunk of the WMA with fewer access points. Found a nice-looking area on the map and started hiking, spooked 3 deer on the way in as well as a Black coyote all on the same hilltop where I settled in for the day. 2 yearlings wandered by shortly after midday, around 3 o clock I had half a dozen turkeys stroll through about 30 yards from me.

Around 5:00 I started hearing some activity on the other side of the hill behind me and at the same time this doe appeared around 40yards in front me, she was quartering away, and I hit just behind the diaphragm. No exit wound, not sure if the ball is in the meat or the "gut pile". Either way she dropped within 10 seconds about 60 yards from where she was hit. This doe is a bit of "redemption" after that smaller doe I got back in October. Looking forward to cooking up a roast this weekend

PXL_20231125_221528148.jpg

EDIT: found the ball. Ball shed a little weight (now 203 grains 54.) Broke through the right humerus? And was under the hide. The lump is visible in the above photo

1000003176.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on a great hunt and sounds like you found the right spot away from all others! Enjoy your roast and a toast my friend! 👍

This post has everything: The quest, the quest beset by people, the re-boot, the hit, the score, and the recovered round ball, which let's face it is the icing on the cake of just about every round ball kill. It is fascinating to see. Thank you for sharing this. Congratulations

Back