• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Youth Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son has a Traditions Deerhunter in .50 flint. Not PC but it shoots great with a .490 PRB over 50-70 grains of Goex FFg with a .018 patch AND the price was right. 50 grains is great at the range and 70 is his hunting load. He really enjoys it and when he is older I am sure he will want to build one himself.

You might take a look at Sitting Fox Custom Muzzleloaders. Just do a web search or use TMF links page.

Also Pedersoli used to make or maybe still sells a model "Cub" that is good for youngsters.

Old Salt

Maybe consider building one yourself. Here's one that I built for my oldest son ~1978. CVA lock, 50 cal. smoothbore. Belgium bbl. from a gunshow, fabbed rest of metal parts.
Gone but not forgotten.
R
nsvnq.jpg

I have one of the Pedersoli Dixie Cubs mentioned.
It's a .40 Flinter. I beleive they were made with Children/Women in mind,but it works well for me.

Lenght of pull at about 13" is slightly shorter than some of my other guns. 28" Barrel and weighs a little over 6 pounds. I had to replace the factory vent liner with an RMC vent liner to get reliable ignition. It's very reliable now.

It is not totally PC but will pass for a general rifle of the timeframe.

We had a Dixie Cub available for the youngsters to shoot during a club "Youth Field Day". They really enjoyed shooting a real flintlock. It even has the double set triggers.

Old Salt

Jacks Mountain Stocks can cut you a Precarve Isaac Haines rifle in 3/4 size, you just send him a barrel that you want in it. I am going to build my grandson one & just buy a small Chambers Siler & Davis Trigger, this one has a Getz 40 cal A weight swamped barrel & will have a Davis single trigger.

:thumbsup:

I'd love to be able to spend the time and make one myself. The biggest problem is Ol' Uncle Sam is demanding my attention to a big sand box pretty soon so I'd rather at least initially get something stock for the Lad. I really appreciate everyone's fast response to my request!!!

Gents,
Just got back into town after some MORE training... Gesh. Good Ol' Unc Sam sure likes to keep me out in the woods. Maybe at least that way I can't get into trouble. I really appreciate everyones input and help on this for me. I will hopefully be able to contribute my .02 in these forums before I take off for the long haul.
Thanks once again this seems to be a fantastic forum with some really great folks in it!

Returned from 13 months in Afghanistan and gave the boy that Dixie Cub for Christmas that all of you recommended. He hit a 2'x2' target at a good 200 yards twice. I took it up and shot it just as well as any of my other full sized flinters. We went to our local rezndevous last week and had a hoot on the trail walk together. Thanks much for all the ideas and support!!!! :thumbsup:

THAT's what it's all about!

Thank you for your service and for being a good Dad. Too many boys grow up without good council.

TC

glad to hear your back home safe and spending good times with your lad.

CHEERS! :hatsoff:

Back