• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your Lyman Deerstalker load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks with fire

54 Cal.
Reaction score
For those that have a .54 1/48 twist Lyman Deerstalker; what size ball and patch are you using? I need to buy ball this week for mine and shoot it for the first time. Should I get .535 or .530? I am thinking the red strip patch material I have is .018 and will try the Track Mink oil for lube.

I am hoping to be able to get good accuracy with about 80 grains of Swiss 2f.

My wife started out with .015/.530 until the bore smoothed after around 200 shots, and now it's ideal with .018/.530. Her favorite load is 60 grains of 3f Goex, while I prefer 80 or 90 grains of the same. Never tried 2f in it, though I understand Swiss is a little hotter than Goex. I'm guessing you're going to be right in the ballpark if yours is anything like hers.

My wife shoots a .530 ball and .018 ticking, over 70 grains of Graf's 3F. I definitely think you're in the ballpark with that load. 85-90 grains of 2F Graf's over the same patch/ball combo works great in my Trade Rifle also (same twist - longer barrel).

Back