• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your impressions of Lyman GPR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill - what is a 'good' nipple? Is the stock nipple poor?

Claypipe - what patch thickness do you use for the .535 RB?

What is a good starting point for GPR roundball?
Should I get both .530 and .535, along with .015 and .018 patches and start experimenting?

i have to agree with you about the tc stocks being small. i have a trade rifle which is actually a hawken type gun and prefer its stock more than the tc. it seems fuller, comes to cheek better. i might have to put my gm barrel on that trade rifle to see how it looks and shoots. chopper

well i tried the gm barrel to see if it would fit. nope. would need some altercation. back on my tc it went. i like the lyman products as well as the tc. just thought i'd try something new. good luck steve with your rifle. chopper

First things first, clean the dickens out of the bore. Don't know what kind of "grease" they use in it, but it's tough and your accuracy won't really develop till it's gone. Takes several good cleanings and shooting to do it.

I started out with .530 and .535 Hornady balls, Oxyoke WW patches in .010 and .015, plus .018 ticking. Right off .530 and .010 were too lose, .530 and .015 was fine, as was .535 and .010, while .018 patches were too heavy for either. After 200-300 shots the .535 and .015 took the lead in accuracy, with .530 and .018 right behind.

Initially I couldn't even start .535 and .015, but as things got easier using the prior combo, I tried again. Took a sharp slap on the short starter to get it started, but man, what an improvement in already good accuracy.

A good starting load, and one which you are likely to use for target or small game with some adjusting is 50 grains of 3f or 2f, whether the real stuff or pyro. My deer hunting load is 90 grains of 2f, and my moose load is 110 grains of 2f.

A "good" nipple is one that fires all the time, whether original, a Lyman replacement (worked for me), or one of the alternative "hot" nipples. Remember that the Lyman takes a metric nipple, as I recall something like 6x.25mm, rather than US standard.

My original nipple required a whole lot of force to seat the cap all the way down and prevent misfires. I could tell instantly that I hadn't seated it far enough, because there was always a misfire. The replacement from Lyman didn't require as much force to seat a cap, and any misfire is a result of too many shots without picking.

Back