• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yet ANOTHER kibler colonial!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the barrel was draw filed and polished up to 320 grit then degreased with denatured alcohol then I used brownells oxpho blue and burnished it back to a nice grey with 0000 steel wool. I did that twice to get the color I was after. The lock and all other parts that were not brass were filed and polished to 220 and scotchbrite pad then degreased and “temper blued” this was done by use of a propane torch and quenched in oil when the desired color is reached which is 590-610 degrees. As bright polished steen is heated it changes color. And from reading the master Dave persons posts about the traditional ways of metal finished he talks about temper blue a lot and from what I’m led to believe this was a traditional way of finishing parts after they were case hardened and then polished back to bright white and either left white or they were temper blued. I did this to all metal parts and screw heads and only on the very bottom on the frizen as I did not want to change the temper on the actual striking surface of the frizen.
Thanks, I browned my last Kibler SMR but want something different on this one I am currently doing. I am considering leaving it in the white but yours looks appealing.

If you don’t mind me asking what method did you use to Fire Blue the Lock, simply Gorgeous.

If you don’t mind me asking what method did you use to Fire Blue the Lock, simply Gorgeous.

Of course! I used just a plane old map gas torch and polish the part to desired finish, degrease with denatured alcohol and heat with the torch and watch your color and go slow with the heat. First it will turn a nice straw color then a dark purple then it comes into the blues and if you have too much heat you will blow past the blue and go a grey. However if that happens you can polish it back to white and reheat. Then when your color is reached quench the part in some motor oil to stop the color change. Also be mindful of what parts you are heating and stay away from the striking face of the frizen. I blued the pan cover and pulled the heat off before it went up the frizen face so I didn’t soften it. Just go slow.

Oooh....this could end up costing me. :doh:

Must...have....one.....

Beautiful rifle!
Update...(for those keeping score), it DID cost me. Have one .58 rifled maple Colonial on the bench now and I'm only at the buttplate fitment stage and am already planning ANOTHER Kibler kit. Good grief....is there a treatment for this affliction? Oh and because of YOU, Mike (yeah it's YOUR fault...) the next one will very likely be stocked in cherry. See what you've done? 🤪

Back