• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yeesh, help me spend my money here.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've decided to purchase the T/C percussion Hawken over the GPR or a custom. Many different reasons influenced my decision. I'm glad the wife suggested what she did. At any rate I'm torn between the 15/16" barreled 50 caliber 1-66 twist option or the 1" barreled 54 caliber 1-66 twist option. I like the 1" barrel. However I have two molds for the .50, nothing for a .54. Are there any advantages to going with a .54 over a .50? I can't see where the 54 has that much more wallop on game than a 50 but I could be wrong here. Does a 54 buck the wind better? Any thoughts here? Reason I like the 1" barrel is because GM offers a 1" barreled .62 smoothbore for the 1" Hawkens or Renegades.

jimg, I was full bore 50 cal... only cause ya have the molds and a 50 will kill anything a 54 will,and I don't think wind will be noticably different if at all...but when you said 62 barrel,,well, now I'm thinkin ya ought get the 54 and get the 62 too...gotta love a versatile weapon.. jes me's opinion...Good Luck! RC

The .54 is a better big game caliber if you ever plan to hunt elk, moose, etc. And the ability to get the .62 barrel is a benefit too. You can get a Lee mould for the .54 for abut $18, not a big deal.

When I bought my first new muzzleloader 30-odd years ago, the old timer who ran the store said that if I ever wanted to go after an elk or bear I'd be glad I had a .54. Those were round ball days and the main alternative was the T/C Maxi-Ball and Maxi-Hunter. I took his advice and have always had at least one .54 in the house. I like .54's. I don't think they necessarily buck the wind better but I'm convinced that they hit harder than a .50. I now have a .58 round ball plains rifle and am convinced that it hits harder yet. For North American big game the .54 is a very versatile gun and provides a certain edge over the .50. The .54 seems to have no disadvantage for whitetail hunting and is a much more versatile choice for black bear and elk... especially if you move up to a conical. If I had to have only one sidelock muzzleloader it would be a .54 for my hunting area of Kansas and Colorado.

The .54 caliber ball can be driven just as fast as the .50 can. But the .54 has an extra 50 grains of lead and hits harder. If you are really concerned about power then I would go for the .54. And a .62 will be enough gun to take any game you are apt to run into. One of the Hawken parts sets would make a fine big bore hunting rifle. Don Stith offers some fine ones. I think that I would go with a full stock, myself.

I think the 54 allows 120 grains of powder - not sure if the 50 does.

There's no doubt which one I would get! It would be the 1" in 54. Like stated, just spend another $18 for the mould.

The 50 is fine, got 4, the 54 is a bit better if your hunting, got 3 , but have more fun with one of the 62s than anything, and it will really spin thses big hogs we got running thru the woods around here :grin: fred :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back