• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yeah, I Used To Shoot 'em

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some days I take either two rifles or a rifle and one or two C and B revolvers. It’s fun while I’m shooting but when I get home I’m faced with some work to do.
I usually do a preliminary cleaning just to start breaking things up so the jobs easier later.

Fix’n to start meditation now,

hmmmmm….hmmmmm…🤣😆🤣

Attachments

• C6CD50D6-629E-49BA-A33D-767F94BAAFE7.jpeg
    C6CD50D6-629E-49BA-A33D-767F94BAAFE7.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
What is the "set up" you have on the rifle that drains from what I assume is the vent hole? Did you make it or purchase it?

I got it from “the lucky bag”. I think is a creation of @dave2c’s. I may be off here. I have had it for a while. It works!!!

Rare earth magnet and a cork gasket

Attachments

• 4C342C1B-F192-4485-A9AE-FF87584D2C8E.jpeg
    4C342C1B-F192-4485-A9AE-FF87584D2C8E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I guess it doesn't take a long time to clean a BP rifle and many report 15 - 20 minutes to complete the job; I'm not one of them. Cleaning a BP arm is only a minor chore in my opinion and I don't mind it much at all. But it takes me a LOT longer to clean one than most shooters apparently. The reasons are that - 1. I'm slow, really slow and 2. I'm OCD, really OCD. It can take me 15 minutes easy just to assemble everything together. I clean them really well but can't help but think "just a little more". That way time adds up. But I do agree they're rather easy to clean and I don't mind doing it.
I'm OCD with all of my firearms, modern or BP. I like to clean them to the point that a q-tip with solvent/lube won't come away black if rubbed against any surface.

I suspect that anyone who thinks BP takes enough extra time to clean that it isn't worth shooting them, is someone who neglects his modern weapons. If he's cleaning his modern weapons as he should--thoroughly and after each range session--he won't think BP is worse to clean.

I'm OCD with all of my firearms, modern or BP. I like to clean them to the point that a q-tip with solvent/lube won't come away black if rubbed against any surface.

I suspect that anyone who thinks BP takes enough extra time to clean that it isn't worth shooting them, is someone who neglects his modern weapons. If he's cleaning his modern weapons as he should--thoroughly and after each range session--he won't think BP is worse to clean.
I have nevr liked cleaning any firearm, I just do it because it needs to be done. I hate replacing them even more $$$ so I take care of them. The BP problem is the "mess' with the water etc and doing a good job. Not as simple to just look down the bore and say "good to go", after wiping down the bolt, etc. Making certain the Lock is clean, the Breech area, etc is not as simple as a modern firearm(IMHO) While I like the history and the romance associated with BP firearms as well as how they look., I do not delude myself that there is anything easy about shooting them or cleaning them. No songs from the 'sirens" appear to me nor pictures of idyllic woodsy setting in my head (LOL) just the same old drudgery of getting it done, because it needs to be done. That's just me. If i had the money, I would have "staff" that handled these things!:ghostly:

When I lived in a second-floor condo, I would clean my rifles in the dining room. At that time, my daughter had a ferret as a pet. That little bugger would try to steal my cleaning rod if I had it on the floor. The wife unit would complain about the smell, as usual. Finally moved into a ranch style house. Now I do all the cleaning in the garage.. Different rifles require different methods. Flintlocks get the touch hole plugged with a toothpick and some solvent poured in the barrel. While that is soaking the residue in the breech area, I clean the lock. Dump out the solvent and start running patched down the barrel, until clean. Halfstock caplocks , I will remove the wedge and stick the breech end in a pail of water and flush out all the nastiness from the barrel.

If i had the money, I would have "staff" that handled these things!:ghostly:
You and me, both, for those days where I have multiple firearms to clean at once. Although, I would still clean single guns. Being buried in cleaning guns is a great excuse not to do other things I don't feel like doing, and I do still enjoy having an immaculate firearm after having put in the work to make it that way.

I could have sworn that is where I got it. Note all the brass stuff on the website????
Took a few clicks, but was able to find it. Neat device. I have a procedure, but if I was to alter it that magnetic flush tube might be what I would use.

http://www.luckybag.us/MagneticFlushTube.html
Also noted the site has some flintlock themed jewelry and such.

Guess I’m such a muzzle loading geek I don’t mind cleaning mine after shooting at all. Kind of relaxing actually. They are beautiful precision instruments and I like to keep them that way.

I've come to believe that a habitual Flintlock owner /shooter has to be something of a Tinkerer at heart, and theres a lot to said for a habitual tinkerers happy contentedness.

Back