• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yeah, I Used To Shoot 'em

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re right Boss,

It’s the hole experience. It’s kinda like the old gunfighter movie or like in “Jeremiah Johnson” movie. It’s the attention to detail, slow, methodical approach. To make sure that all is in perfect working order. To me the time spent with a traditional gun is an exercise in meditation. I know that’s nuts but it’s true for me.

RM

Much the same as building a good ML kit, slow and methodical, measured in application and reflective in thought. Seems to me an effective way to maintain some sanity in this era of cheap compromise, disposability and deceit.

And when the ML kit is finally completed and useable, what do we usually do ?
Begin a restless hankering to start another one !

Like most things, the more you do it the better you get. When I'm shooting regularly, my cleaning time goes down.

I also try to keep my wife from complaining about the smell by doing several patches at the range before I leave. Swabbing most of the crud out also seems to make clean up at home a little quicker.

Why not put some soiled cleaning patches under her pillow to help her get accustomed to it ?

I can't say as i enjoy cleaning any type of firearm and ML's are just not that much 'fun" to clean(IMHO) I find it difficult on a pinned "flintlock" trying not to get any water under the barrel etc. Do you really want to pull the barrel? i don't! I have a set up that attaches to the vent hole to allow water in the barrel to run out. It works fairly well if I am careful. The rifles I have are the rifles I have, and I doubt I will change them or sell them etc. To much trouble ,time etc. But they are not easy to clean in my opinion. The easiest is my GPR. That hooked breech with a keyed barrel is like night n day, and makes cleaning so much easier. If I ever had a rifle built or if I built one. It would have a hooked breech and keyed barrel, HC or not!:dunno:

Try turning the ML upside down and lean it back at a practical working angle, use an old rag (cheap small hand towel is best) to grip the now upside down barrel while you pour hot water into it, any spillage will stop at the rag while your holding it.
I've been doing it that way without any problems.

There are two additions I have made to the cleaning table that have made it a breeze to me. A hot plate, and a tiny backpackers kettle with a tiny pour spout. Works great, even for a .32. Get it boiling and do the pour and dump pour and dump. It shocks the carbon right off of everything in there. Makes very quick work of swabbing the rest out.

Years ago, I would use hot water and dish soap to clean my GPR. When I built my .40 a few months ago my shooting buddy gave me his recipe for cleaning solution, 1 part rubbing alcohol, 1 part peroxide and 1/2 part murphy's oil soap. What used to take 30 minutes now takes five minutes, ten at most.

Do you guys take the locks off your percussion guns every time you clean? I don't. I imagine it's more critical with a flintlock.

Some days I take either two rifles or a rifle and one or two C and B revolvers. It’s fun while I’m shooting but when I get home I’m faced with some work to do.
I usually do a preliminary cleaning just to start breaking things up so the jobs easier later.
Have carried C&B revolvers for years for self-defense. Have shot C&B a great deal too, just because they are FUN to shoot. A lot has been said in places about using boiling water and such when cleaning black powder firearms, But, SORRY, NOPE, NO WAY! I take the weapon apart when I get home, use a good powder solvent, then 'lightly' oil the weapon. The next day run a solvent patch then an oil patch through the bore. Never, NEVER! had any rust or corrosion issues. As told to me by my Platoon Sgt., in Viet-Nam; 'You take care of your weapon, your weapon will take care of you.'

Much the same as building a good ML kit, slow and methodical, measured in application and reflective in thought. Seems to me an effective way to maintain some sanity in this era of cheap compromise, disposability and deceit.

And when the ML kit is finally completed and useable, what do we usually do ?
Begin a restless hankering to start another one !
There in lies the real problem IMHO. If we were truly happy and satisfied, we would not constantly be searching for the next ML build (IMHO) unless we were doing it as a business, build & sell. Thoughts?

I remove the locks of my rifles when cleaning. It give me better access to clean up inside and behind the hammer plus access around the drum to clean residue where the lock abuts to the barrel, this is not a problem with hooked breech guns where I remove the barrel. I also make sure residue hasn't worked it's way into the lock then l lightly lube the internals. In the case of flintlocks it gives was better access to clean the lock plus it's easier to clean the barrel where the lock mates with it. I go so far as to use Q tips to access hard to reach places.

I always bring a collection of long and side arms, flint, and percussion to the range because I enjoy the historical shooting experience. So, I always shoot multiple guns and like the choice of selecting what I want to shoot and how much I want to shoot it while I'm there. But, at every outing, I do think about how much time I want to spend that evening cleaning.

Cleaning multiple MLs is much less work for me than cleaning multiple CB revolvers. But the internal debate usually goes one way on the revolver side as it's just too hard to shoot only one. I clean methodically after every outing so it takes some time and, as a result, I've learned two unyielding facts regarding my cleaning experience -

1) Cleaning and cigar smoking time is pure enjoyment
2) Cleaning after cigar smoking time is drudgery

Last edited:
Back