• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ye Kant Bee Two Karerful, Ah Says

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As this is the first time Moderators are being allowed to join in the MuzzleLoading Forum shooting matches, I had to do my part. ::

After swapping out the flintlock on my .45 caliber Bedford for the Caplock and Drum (it's a convertable rifle) I loaded my shooting materials (Swiss powder, RWS primers and cast balls), my Possibles Box (3 tray tackle box), 3X5 card targets, range rods, Bedford, Tryon and GPR into the ole GMC and went to the range.

The first thing I found was that little white card at 50 yards makes for a dam poor target with the Bedford. The guns silver front sight and the white target were almost impossible to line up consistantly. (The black X on the target was almost invisable so I was just aiming at the center of the white rectangle).
I also think I will add some old wooden matches to my Possibles Box so I can blacken up the silver front sight like my dad taught me to do. That would help a lot.

After prooving the Bedford wouldn't give me what I wanted, I switched to the .45 caliber Tryon.
While it was doing OK, it was still getting some horizontal stringing due to the light variable breeze which was blowing across the range.
As I was reloading it, I got to thinking that maybe going to the .50 cal Great Plains Rifle would lessen the winds effects. I also got to BSing with a couple of guys.
I admit it. I lost track of what I was doing, and loaded up the GPR.
Suffice it to say, the GPR preformed as it usually does. I think the .50 cal. bucks the wind better than the .45 cal did.
I'm not claiming a "kill" but I know the results sure got some Easterners attention. :: ::
No, we won't talk about how many 3X5 cards I only took one shot on because the first one was nicking an edge of the card making it impossible to get a good string. Let's just say it's a good thing these targets are really cheap.

When I got home, I disassembled the three guns and started cleaning them.
After finishing the Bedford, the Tryon was next.
With the breech of the barrel in the bucket of water, down went the ramrod and soaped patch. No bubbles. Retracting the ramrod made a nice Thuuump as the jag cleared the muzzle.
What the He*l? Is it possible this thing is still loaded?

Yup. :curse: :curse:
Well, I won't bore you with the fun of using a Ball Screw (It's a good thing to have a solid steel Range Rod, a 12 inch adjustable wrench (to clamp on the rod next to the ball) and a 16 oz hammer (to whack the wrench with) when you need it.) but eventually, out came the ball and most of the powder. The rest of the powder flushed out as I finished cleaning the barrel.
By the way, with the nipple removed and the breech stuck into a bucket of water, the main powder charge was still dry as a bone).

In 35 years of muzzleloading, I've never brought one home fully loaded from the range before.
Az ole Zonie says, "Ye Kant Bee Two Kareful. Why, evan a Muderator kan screw up once in ah while."
:thumbsup:

Kinda reminds me not at all of the Saturday morning a few years back now when my good friend and next-door neighbor came smiling over with the kit single-shot percussion pistol he'd bought, already assembled, that morning at a yard sale.

"What do you think of this?" he asked me. Before I said anything I did what had always been the first thing I do with a muzzlestuffer in the possession of someone who knows nothing about them: I took out the ramrod and slipped it down the barrel, marked where it stopped with my thumbnail, then pulled it and laid it on top of the barrel.

It missed the proper length by about two inches.

"Well, Dave, first off, I think it's loaded," I told him. His eyes got real big. "Hell, we've been snappig the hammer all morning," he said ruefully.

Fortunately, nothing untoward had happened. I went downstairs and got a #11 cap. We tied the p.o.s. pistol to a tire and set up a bag of newspapers in front of it. Tugged the trigger rope and "BANG." I dug out the round ball, by then somewhat flattened, and gave it to him.

All that to say this: They're always loaded, even when we know they're not. But then, we all know that, don't we? :blue: :grey:

"always treat any firearm as if it's loaded"
The other night I had a gun shop owner hand me my auto Ruger and He had just cycled it, and the first thing I did was cycle it and check. A fellow standing there gave me a funny look. The owner just smiled.
Can't be too careful. :front:

We only need rule #1. " It's always loaded, act accordingly" All the other safety rules just reitterate rule #1 in one way or another. :imo: Bill

Zonie,

One of the handiest little gadgets I ever put into my possibles was on of those CO2 load dischargers. Saved me from many a headache. Never have I had to resort to pulling a ball with a worm. That said I know better than to never say never.

Don

What times I've gotten my loading sequence mixed up,was while paying too much attention to something or someone that I should have ignored while loading.I realize that there are people out there that have "never" had this happen,but havn,t met one.As was said "treat every firearm as if it were loaded" this is the most important safety rule of all. :imo: :front:

The Tryon was still loaded you say, how did you transport it home? Do you have a rifle rack or lay it in the bed of a truck on something soft? If laid down, which way was the muzzle facing? That would be a scary thought having that barrel pointing at you all the way back home, sends shivers down my spine just thinking of it. Glad no one got hurt 'cus of it, could be good practice for everyone to double check the barrels before leaving the range, that would make a nice tip to remind everyone.

could be good practice for everyone to double check the barrels before leaving the range, that would make a nice tip to remind everyone.

I think that would make a great tip, when leaving the range or the field...

Thanks Uncle Jed... :hatsoff:

As I was reloading it, I got to thinking that maybe going to the .50 cal Great Plains Rifle would lessen the winds effects.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I also got to BSing with a couple of guys.

I admit it. I lost track of what I was doing, and loaded up the GPR.

In 35 years of muzzleloading, I've never brought one home fully loaded from the range before.

I think you just pointed out why you brought that rifle home with a charged load. That BSing is known to cause brain drain, brain fog, or whatever people are calling it this day. I've been distracted myself by other people at the range, and I've probably been the "distractor" as well as the "distractee" too.

No shame when nothing/nobody gets hurt from it... but it sure does make you get that "hot all over feeling", and a "pain in your guts", when you realize you have unknowingly brought a loaded gun into the house.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and that there weren't any bad consequences to come about from it.

Regards, and shoot safely... or maybe I should say, let's empty all your guns out at the range a SECOND time...? Like you said, "you can't be too careful"!

WV_Hillbilly

When I lived in Indiana, the local gun club had a terrific rifle range. Very popular. You might see almost anything there on a pleasant Saturday afternoon.

I was shooting a Black Mountain Magnum I had just bought used and was amazed to find that it was a veritable tack-driver with conicals. Got distracted by some activity at the range and the next shot didn't sound exactly right. After that I couldn't hit anything with it.

Cleaning the gun that night I found the patched jag moved very freely from a point about 4" in from the muzzle to a point about 12" from the muzzle. I'd short started and wrecked the barrel. Could've cried. It was like having the Golden Fleece and then losing it.

Of course I needed a new barrel and didn't think TC owed me one. Wrote them a long letter explaining what a dunce I was and asking them to replace the barrel using whatever parts were still good from the old barrel and offering to pay what was necessary for parts and labor. Packed it with the gun and sent it back. A week or so later, the gun came back with a new barrel and a letter explaining that there was no charge and that I shouldn't make the same mistake again. Another reason why TC is the GREATEST in my book.

The new barrel, though good, never really measured up to the one I ruined. Gave myself the handle "short_start" to remind myself of the one that 'got away'. I'm still kicking myself.

It's a shame. I love the BS sessions at the range with like minded guys, but once they start it's best for me to just put the muzzleloaders away. Muzzleloading takes alot more concentration than cartridge gun shooting and when the distractions occur you proceed at your own risk.

Glad your snafu had a happier ending.
Bob

Got distracted while loading this weekend also. 120 grains of 3F in a 50 don't feel good, my cheek still hurts.

Rick

Jed: To answer some of your questions:
" The Tryon was still loaded you say, how did you transport it home? Do you have a rifle rack or lay it in the bed of a truck on something soft? If laid down, which way was the muzzle facing? ..."

Not to downplay the danger, but, for the most part, IMO a charged Caplock without a cap is something like a loaded modern brass cartridge without a primer. There is very little danger of it going off although it could under the wrong circumstances.

In Illinois, a caplock is considered "unloaded" if there is no cap on the nipple and the hammer is down.

the law here in NH is the same- as long as the gun is unprimed, it's considered unloaded and legal for transport. Yes, a few of mine have made it home still loaded. It's easy to get lazy and pick up this bad habit, especialy since most folks I know leave them loaded till they get a deer or the season ends. some of the guys I know have even left a gun loaded all year from one deer season to the next, and I once found a loaded flintlock on the used rack at a local gun shop!!

After an un-productive session of hunting, I'll transport my .50 flinter home loaded, but I made a leather frizzen cover, and I also carry a small gineua feather to plug the touch hole with.

I usually teach the black-powder segment of the Hunter's Safety Course in our county, so it wouldn't look good for me to have a .50 cal. hole in the roof of my truck.

I've discovered over the years that BS-ing is the most dangerous part of BP-ing. I've been lucky to never have dangerously overloading or unknowingly leaving a gun loaded, but I've certainly had my share of dry-balls. One day, several months ago, I dry-balled two consecutive loads. After that, I said 'I've had it.' Whenever I have something to say, or another guy gets started on something, I stop what I'm doing. If I have a patched ball in the muzzle, the patch stays uncut, or if it's cut, the ball doesn't get shortstarted. I find some way to remind me that the act of loading is not complete. It's a little different when loading Minies. If I lose track of where I am, I run the ramrod down and make sure that if there is a ball in there, it's all the way down. Then I go to the line, prime, and aim the piece downrange and fire. Sometimes I discover that I never loaded to start with. I'd rather be embarrassed by that than dead (or someone else dead) by a gun that I thought I never loaded. In our club, we like to BS (I like to call it "Blackpowder Seminar"), so we have gotten to where we stop what we're doing to do it...usually. We do most of it between relays or at lunch. Some days more Bull has been shot under the firing line shed than have been shot out at the target backers. :yakyak: ::

i normally use 50 gr. , last time out i shot a 100 gr. load by accident. could have been worse if it had two projectiles. :m2c:

I make it a point to never, ever, leave the field with a loaded weapon -- BP or otherwise.
Back when I first began shooting BP -- before the days of CO2 dischargers -- that meant using a ball puller to unload or simply pointing at a safe target and setting her off. Of course the latter meant a full cleaning session back home or camp. But I consider that a small inconvenience compared to the alternative.

Back