• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Say Ye!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just acquired a TC .54 Renegade that has the scope mount that sets to the side for hammer clearance. Luckily the guy still has the original rear sight so that will be changed back. The rifle is absolutely beautiful except for one minor issue and that is where I got the thread title from. He claims is has been loaded for 8 years with pyrodex rs and a maxi ball. It was not fired prior to loading and there was tape “for air tightness” over the end of the barrel. He also had a wad of plastic over the nipple with the hammer down to seal that side as well. Here is the question, do you think it can be fired to clear or would it have set too long? What Say Ye!

I would recommend that you get a high pressure CO2 discharger or air compressor to blow the charge and maxi-ball out. Perhaps removing the nipple and installing a 1/4-28 zerk fitting and using a grease gun to push the charge out.

Pyrodex is known to deteriorate over time and may be very difficult to ignite.

I don't recommend shooting the charge out.

Looks like some mixed thoughts. Do you think the lube used in the bullets lands could harden making it too dangerous to fire. I have seen old maxis in the plastic containers that were preluded that looked like dried clay. He even said he used 80gr of the pyrodex and natural lube. I was going to pull it but my concern is if the lube dried it may be to hard to pull and then maybe it would also be glued in or to hard to shoot. What a conundrum I face.

I just acquired a TC .54 Renegade that has the scope mount that sets to the side for hammer clearance. Luckily the guy still has the original rear sight so that will be changed back. The rifle is absolutely beautiful except for one minor issue and that is where I got the thread title from. He claims is has been loaded for 8 years with pyrodex rs and a maxi ball. It was not fired prior to loading and there was tape “for air tightness” over the end of the barrel. He also had a wad of plastic over the nipple with the hammer down to seal that side as well. Here is the question, do you think it can be fired to clear or would it have set too long? What Say Ye!
Not knowing 100% what you have, pull the maxi and remove the powder. Start fresh with your own powder load and bullet of choice.
Larry

I initially say shoot it, With the dgree if ignorance n the increase I believe it best to use the C02 method to clear,

I will say my experience with Pyrodex is different than reported above. I have a can that is over 30 years old (round cardboard can with red cap). It has clumps. It still shoots just fine. Maybe cause we have such low humidity? I dunno but I have had good luck with pyrodex being loaded and old pyrodex firing just fine. ONLY exception was loaded a CB revolver with Bore butter to seal and the bore butter worked its way down. All cylinders fired with a big PSSSSSSST Pop. No power at all but still went off. YMMV

GET the c02. Worth every penny, saved many a day at the range. Use caution, it will blow a load out with enough force to leave bruises (or worse) and break stuff.

Unless you have doubt in the sellers word. Shot it out.

I do not understand the mind that leaves a charge sit in a BP gun. Even if you know the seller personally there should be a question in your mind about what is actually in the barrel. Suppose 8 years ago he was a rank newby and accidentally loaded with smokeless? Pull, CO2, grease gun or air compressor.
Maybe it's just me. But if I am going to load a firearm then at the end of the day I will unload it. Even if it is a ML and I need to fire it to do so. Presumably you didn't load it to sit around the house with it. Only exception is unmentionable personal defense weapons.

I'd be equally concerned about the possibility of corrosion: moisture has a way of getting in to 'sealed' chambers and pyrodex is not immune. I'm with the 'pull the load' faction. Then you can inspect the bore and see what condition both the load and the barrel are in.

mhb - MIke

In a rough-ish 54 cal bore a fairly tight patched round ball with mink oil lube takes 110 pounds of air pressure to push out of a dead clean bore. My son brought my flinter home loaded after the last day of the deer season and I found out how much it takes LOL. My compressor only goes to 125 and I started at 60 pounds with a few towels in a box to catch the ball, I didn't want to see what happened when the ball took an unsupervised lap of my garage......

I'm with Larry's advice to pull the Maxi-ball and clean out the powder. Then you can do a proper cleaning job in the breech area of the barrel and inspect the breech area. It's best to be safe. Don't trust what someone else said is downbore.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I traded for a TC barrel one time from a person who is into 18th century arms and such. He claimed he cleaned the barrel and was able to blow air thru it. When I tried to blow air thru it, no go. I installed a grease fitting to the barrel, hooked up the grease gun and started pumping. Out came a maxi ball, some powder, another maxi ball and more powder. I’m glad I didn’t take his word for it.

I will never fire a new muzzleloader unless I personally verify the condition of the bore.

Latest posts

Back