• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

yall made me do it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDavidP

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I currently have two '58 Remingtons and a '51 Colt, and a CVA Bobcat. After readying several posts here, I went and did it. I ordered a Lyman's .50 Plains Pistol Kit from Dixie Gun Works. The best thing is that it arrives tomorrow. I will be going down to NC next week to see my parents. I will be taking it with me so my father and I can put it together. There is a backstory to the pistol....

When I was 15, my father bought an old 12gauge single shot shotgun from a neighbor who wanted to get rid of it. belong to her abusive husband. We reblued the barrel, stripped the stock and refinished it. The gun even shot 3inch shells. A couple of years later, my school turned me anti-gun, and I had my father get rid of it. Something I am sorry for now. So I am buying this kit and we are going to put it together.

Congratulations. You picked a great kit. Sounds like a way to spend some really good father/son time. I hope it turns out great and you two have a blast shooting it.

I have heard great things about those particular kits. Seem like they are fairly easy to create a decent shooting rifle.

Have fun and excercise your right to bear!

If for whatever reason imaginable you were placed in a situation that you were bad in need of a firearm that break-open 12 ga. would have seemed a God-send to you when you got ahold of and chunked a 3" 000 buck shell in it. :thumbsup:

My kit arrived today. Within 5 minutes, I basically had the pistol assembled. All the parts fit perfectly, all the holes done right. Exactly what I was looking for in a first kit. The booklet had all these instructions on inletting and such. Didn't have to do it. All the parts fit flush and smooth to the stock.

I finished my pistol kit a week ago and am well pleased. The belt hook is great and the barrel took the browning real well, I know you'll enjoy yours.

Blizzard of '93 said:
If for whatever reason imaginable you were placed in a situation that you were bad in need of a firearm that break-open 12 ga. would have seemed a God-send to you when you got ahold of and chunked a 3" 000 buck shell in it. :thumbsup:

My youngest son was killed by a 2 3/4 inch 00 buck load. At the trial of the man who pulled the trigger, the DA pointed out the fact that had the gun discharged in any other direction, any one in that or adjoining apartments was also in mortal danger. Please use trap loads for home defense.

Please accept my very deepest condolence for your loss, and I did not mean any reference to use of that partricular firearm in a home-defense situation. But not knowing the circumstances involved to preserve the life or well being of anyone being assaulted, any firearm is better than none, even a .68 cal Howdah pistol. :shake:

Yes the Plains Pistol IS a very powerful weapon and will surpass the .357 in killing power with enough work. Actually not that much work. I love mine have not shot it lately but it is a great gun.

Now to go off topic Slamfire I am sad to hear about your loss and it sounds like it may be one of the many misconceptions I have heard about gun loads just the past month or so. The worst was I went to a indoor pistol range (I know shudder the thought) with my boss and a co-worker and when we returned to work and were discussing bullets my boss was telling the co-worker that hollow points are great because they will not penetrate walls :shocked2:

I very quickly and to his shock told him how wrong he was and let him know I have seen the bullets go through 4" of pine and keep on traveling. He just did not know they had ballistics that good. I also told them that I felt a 12guage with #7 or smaller shot was best for home defense or very carefull use of a pistol knowing what is behind the wall you are shooting at.

I didn't buy my Plains Pistol in a kit, it a great shooter. I get clover leafs at 20 yards, shooting use a rest. Off hand I am within a 3 inch group. Great pistol you have a blast.

Pitts - I don't live in a high crime area, but regardless I keep a loaded .380 on shelf of night-stand and a loaded double barrel 12 ga. (1 barrel 3" #4 buck, other barrel low-brass # 6) in the corner near my bedroom door in fairly easy reach.
Reason for this is I live on dead-end country road, and had a full-grown german sheperd mauled and fatally wounded by a pack of dogs, was attacked by a pack myself (pitt bull and collie-mix up front) I had a .22 LR 'belly gun' semi-auto in my coat pocket - a close call for me, and a bear was using this area, I wasn't attacked but bear was outside one night late when I went out to my dog (Lab at that time)- lucky I wasn't attacked as I did not have my pocket pistol (now .32 Beretta) with me.

To make this relevant to the board I now keep my '58 Rem. loaded with slugs and heavy charge of powder near my back door. I've had it loaded for about a year and 6 months (inside of course) and near as I can tell no degrade of load or rust of cylinder. I need to shoot it and clean/reload soon tho, when time permits I'll take it to the range. :v

I only have shot PRBs. Here is my load:
3f Goex BP 35 grains, 10 grains Grits, Wal-Mart Blue Stripe Ticking, Veggie Oil as my lube and .490 casted roundball. I pretty much get the same results dropping the load down to 25 grains but I like the big boom with 35 grains :grin:

Back