• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WV Inaugural Mountaineer Heritage Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see that another state has established a special season for people who want to hunt the "old" ways. Minnesota's late Muzzleloader season started that way, but now everything goes, scopes and all. With the latest in those things we don't discuss, that's like a modern single-shot rifle season. :(
Luckily, we already have a modern muzzleoader season in the middle of Dec. So I can see them altering the Heritage Season!

I found found the wording a little odd in the regulations. From my understanding if I would have gotten a buck during this years 2019 Heritage season it would have counted as a 2018 kill ,but for those that buy license a 2019 license was required to hunt Heritage season .It may be because it's the first year of the new season, and from now on one may be able to hunt the Heritage season on the previous calendar years license, or it may just be the states way of getting people to buy the licence sooner.They may even change the dates of the season to the last week in December. Also from my reading of the regs an out of state hunter can purchase a stamp to get an extra deer for the sum of $37 .I stated that a couple of south eastern counties had poor deer population, but I meant south western, and from my understanding it is because of the way the people in these counties hunted deer in the past.

I found found the wording a little odd in the regulations. From my understanding if I would have gotten a buck during this years 2019 Heritage season it would have counted as a 2018 kill ,but for those that buy license a 2019 license was required to hunt Heritage season .It may be because it's the first year of the new season, and from now on one may be able to hunt the Heritage season on the previous calendar years license, or it may just be the states way of getting people to buy the licence sooner.They may even change the dates of the season to the last week in December. Also from my reading of the regs an out of state hunter can purchase a stamp to get an extra deer for the sum of $37 .I stated that a couple of south eastern counties had poor deer population, but I meant south western, and from my understanding it is because of the way the people in these counties hunted deer in the past.
I agree that the wording of the regs is confusing. And you may be right that you can buy an extra tag. I may be mistaken

I might need to check this one out. I like late season hunting with black powder.
I' m going by the July 2018-June 2019 pamphlet, and there is not a lot specifically on the heritage season,but it is for both deer,and bear in the counties that allow bear hunting .Summers Co.does not,but is bordered by counties that do allow it.I speculate that it would mean an addition $32 stamp however. When the new pamphlet of regulations comes out I feel sure it will cover the specifics better.

I' m going by the July 2018-June 2019 pamphlet, and there is not a lot specifically on the heritage season,but it is for both deer,and bear in the counties that allow bear hunting .Summers Co.does not,but is bordered by counties that do allow it.I speculate that it would mean an addition $32 stamp however. When the new pamphlet of regulations comes out I feel sure it will cover the specifics better.
We can only hope so! I loved hunting in the snow, and would've taken a second deer had u known I could buy another tag!

Should be good .I live in the Mid-Ohio valley,and have never really hunted the more mountainous areas lot of folks from around here go to the mountainous areas to hunt black bear,but I have never killed one.A couple of our south eastern counties do have poor deer hunting.

How far are you from New Martinsville? I have several in-laws that live near Pine Grove.

How far are you from New Martinsville? I have several in-laws that live near Pine Grove.
I would say about 110,or 120 miles down the river from New Martinsville .I live at Evans which is outside of Ripley,and Ripley is about half way between Parkersburg, and Charleston.Have you ever seen the old Robert Mitchum movie "Night of the Hunter"? It is initially set in the area up around Wetzel Co.,and if I remember right ends around Parkersburg..

Jack, The original poster of this thread is the one that killed that muzzle loading deer pictured in this thread.I did not even pull the trigger on one ,but I did kill a couple during regular seasons,so I won't be missing too many meals .LOL

I live in Jefferson County but hunted on Thur. and Fri. in Hampshire County. The wind was horrific and very cold both days. I managed to take a doe at about 80 yds. with my TC Renegade in 54 cal. with 90 gr. of Pyrodex behind a 414 gr. Maxi-ball.

Good for you Jack B. Meat for the table! I tell you Jack maybe $200. for a non resident hunt isn't really that bad. West V. is awesome and I'd pay that to come down there and shoot a couple deer with my flinter. Virginia's prices for out of state hunters are almost the same. I regret to say if you wanted to come up here to Pa. I think it would cost you much more.

Good for you Jack B. Meat for the table! I tell you Jack maybe $200. for a non resident hunt isn't really that bad. West V. is awesome and I'd pay that to come down there and shoot a couple deer with my flinter. Virginia's prices for out of state hunters are almost the same. I regret to say if you wanted to come up here to Pa. I think it would cost you much more.
Yeah, it is nice how much cheaper out of state liscenses are for WV. It allows my father to come hunt with me

Tsaan Wookkuhh Jack!
Good Job Jack! - Comanche

As others have said $200 is not bad compared to other states! I love hunting over snow, most western states have their Muzzleloader seasons right after archery in September.

The option intrigues me! Is there any public land around for us out of staters?

Tsaan Wookkuhh Jack!
Good Job Jack! - Comanche

As others have said $200 is not bad compared to other states! I love hunting over snow, most western states have their Muzzleloader seasons right after archery in September.

The option intrigues me! Is there any public land around for us out of staters?
There definitely is not as much public land as western states, but between State forests, WMA's , and 2 national forests, I'm sure one could find a deer on public land!

Back